who else doing the bunny hop

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Default who else doing the bunny hop

07 z 5ooo miles .this thing wheel hops like a horney dog. too cold to play with tire psi. anyone else got or cure it.i cant do a 1/2 speed shift until its corrected. tanks alot

Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Default RE: who else doing the bunny hop

does any one here own or see a z06

Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 PM

This has nothing to do with your car, per se. It is a very common problem with high performance tires on just about any car. If it is any consolation it will go away next summer but until then there is not much you can do.

The rubber compound in high performance tires hardens and undergoes elasticity changes when cold. It just loses traction capabilities. Smoking the tires to heat them up helps only a bit, and it takes a lot of spinning the wheels. It also can be damaging to the tires: to begin when the rubber is cold and hard it can chunk off as you spin them in small confetti pieces rather than smoke off. And, if you do heat them up, while they regain that wonderful traction you were used to in the summer, they cool down quickly against a cold pavement.

It is worth keeping in mind, by the way, that all traction functions are affected, not just acceleration: you can't brake or corner quite as well as you can in warmer weather.

The higher the performance (softer the compound) the tire, the worse the problem is: ultra performance tires lose more than high performance tires, etc.. I run 345 drag radials all the time on my 'vette -- tires so soft they only will only go about 6000 miles in normal (no burnouts) driving, but this time of year they have only about half the traction of the summer.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 AM

Yeah, I'm having the same problem bro. I can't do anything fun in my Camaro, because simple stuff like power shifting from 1st to 2nd starts the bunny hop as you call it. It's actually very disheartening. Pay all this money for super good tires and they're only good half the year. Darn........[&o]

Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Well, to be fair to the tire manufacturers they do warn you. Most of the really hi-po tires are labeled "summer" tire or something similar. Most people think this refers only to a tread pattern that is great for dry pavement but not good for wet or sluchy, but in fact it is mainly about the tread compound - just no good except in summer.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm suspicious that a tighter suspension may help, thus decreasing the "give" in the suspension, and helping keep the tires on the road. Just my opinion though.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I'm suspicious that a tighter suspension may help, thus decreasing the "give" in the suspension, and helping keep the tires on the road. Just my opinion though.
5000 miles. how loose can it be. my 01 coup with z06 rims and tires never had wheel hop ,the tires also have more giving sidewalls. most likley its tires and temp .tanks for all the input

Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM

I have had this on occasion; however, I have found that feathering the throttle will keep it to a minimum. I have been very successful street racing and drag racing the car without wheel hop. I haven't got the best traction yet, but the stock tires aren't great for that.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 PM

lee willis hit it on the head [many thanks] summer took care of it

Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
cwb

Wheel hop, as originally known, was the entire rear axle tryin' to turn like an airplane propellor on the end of the driveshaft, from extreme torque. One wheel dug into the asphalt; the other lifted (and hopped). If you google long enough for good pictures, you'll see driver's side leaf springs are always compressed, and passenger's side springs are always 'suspended' (or vice versa -I can't remember). Ladder bars was the only fix for true wheel hop.A vehicle with independant rear suspension (such as a vette, with half-shafts) will not do what was originally known as wheel hop.

The front drive imports are the same way. The kids that drive 'em say they have wheel hop. Nope - same as IRS. Not true wheel hop.

Do c5's and 6's have IRS?