General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994New Tech Advice LT1 starts fine but starts flooding out and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 08:58 PM
Default 1994New Tech Advice LT1 starts fine but starts flooding out and smoking

I have a 1994 LT1 with less than 2K on rebuild. Car has been in non-stop repair mode.
Bought car with bad engine - Had professional long block rebuild by gopher in Mn
Ran good for awhile and started getting random faults and misses - replaced Opti and cleared up the faults
Putting in storage I had a brake line fail after further review all 7 lines going to the ABS module were severely rusted and fell apart
Car sat for another year waiting brake lines and wouldn't start - had a fuel pump failure - replaced pump
Car sat another winter and I replaced all brake lines during the summer - what a nasty job!
After completing brakes - Car would not start - Gas was very old and I think caused the fuel pump to fail again - verified with meter and electrical test. Replaced with another new Delco including new inline fuel filter and purged all old gas.
Car ran very well for ~1 week and then wouldn't fire - no start when warm - started when cooled down
Replaced ignition module (delco) and new coil - Fixed the warm start problem and cleared the faults
Now I have a problem where the cars starts runs strong when cold but after 10 -15 secs started flooding out, missing and smoking out the exhaust with heavy fuel smell. After it runs a a short time it clears up and drives fine. It starts fine when warm without the flooding
I just bought a fuel pressure gage and will test for injector leakage - I'm an old carb guy so alot of the fuel inj debug is new to me. I have read topics regarding the fuel pressure monitor that I believe is mounted with the fuel pump
Can anyone give me some things I should be looking for or test?
Too much wrenching and very little driving - getting very tired.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:33 PM

Good heavens, you have had your share or issues! You might want to look at the map sensor (manifold absolute pressure) and check the coolant temperature sensor. I am leaning towards the temp sensor as the problem seems to be occuring during transition from cold to warm. You may have 2 sensors, one for gauge, one for computer. Go after the one for computer.
I hope this helps. Maybe someone will chime in who had the same problem.
Good luck!

Old 05-26-2021, 01:39 PM

Sorry for my delay - was out of pocket.

Thank you for your response. I'll will check the sensors - is there a specific test I need to perform?

I picked up a FP gauge and it held at 40 PSI for a long time after an hour was down to 35 but held. No fuel smell in the oil - So I ruled out leaking injector
Pulled vac hose off the fuel pressure monitor and did not see any fuel - plan to check with vac tester and see if the diaphragm is working
Checked the vac line and it was in great shape
Checked codes nothing new but had history code of rt Cat lean - not sure why when the engine is loading up at cold. Maybe the regulator is allowing too much fuel at cold start and leans at hot. Runs great after warmup.

Thanks again

Old 05-26-2021, 02:26 PM

A lean reading usually indicates a vacuum leak. When you have more air running through the engine than the mass airflow sensor reads you get a lean condition. Now what happens is your computer tries to compensate but gets conflicting signals. The mass says you only got this much air, the O2 sensor says I'm lean. Poor running is the result. Try looking for vacuum leaks, starting with your airbox connection and work your way back.
Good luck!