General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

3 sp. w/OD in a '80 L-82 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 3 sp. w/OD in a '80 L-82 ?

That's been my only hesitation, the torque factor. Since I'm not a drag racer, and the only time I would be "Gittin' in it" would be for passin' on short straights, I should be O. K. If it blows, I have a straight up 3 sp, a Sag 4 sp and of course I can always go back to the 4 sp M-22.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

That's been my only hesitation, the torque factor. Since I'm not a drag racer, and the only time I would be "Gittin' in it" would be for passin' on short straights, I should be O. K. If it blows, I have a straight up 3 sp, a Sag 4 sp and of course I can always go back to the 4 sp M-22.
Yeh, you'll be fine. We don't wanna see you on the evenin' news from a chopper chasin' you down the highway there, bro. Man, we used to run a Saginaw 4spd in all our V8 Vega's. We used to laugh like crazy, "this thing should blow tonight", but it never did! We went through a bazillion 10" rear ends, but only 2 trannies in like, 10 years, of roddin'!

An' the good 'ol M22 Rock Crusher... NICE tranny.

I digress.... you're gonna be fine with that setup bro. DOOOOOOOO IT! [8D]

Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 PM

God, I love hot rodding. I gotta get a bigger garage!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

LOL That's it!! The final straw!!! I'm movin' in with Lee!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

A BIGGER garage? I'd just like to have a garage!!! I keep all my stuff in a 40' shipping container. Have to do all my work outside.[]
Creepers work fairly well on a piece of 3/4" plywood!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:55 AM

My wife has one rule she just won't let me by-pass: the cars stay indoors, none sitting or parking overnight outside. That means two cars (she can't drive, poor eyesite) so its just the 'vette and the Porsche here, and the Camaro in a garage rented at my son's apartment complex.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it's a done deal. I dug the 3 sp out last night. Gonna take it to my mech and have him go through it. It's been sittin' in a wooden box for 30+ yrs.
My mechs are a Father and son business. "Feets", Dad, is a motor head from the late '50's, and his son, "Mo-Jo" has a knack for doin' engines, he is the one who, I helped, do the suspension on the "Starship". "Feets" does tranys and rear ends, he did the 3rd member on the "Starship". These two get rodders from 200 mi. around bringin' their stuff in. They love workin' on my Vette, and let me get in and work with 'em. I'm really out classed, these guys are gooood. I'll be doin' the 454/3 sp conversion at their shop.
Just a little shop, holds maybe 6 cars, in a little town of about 300 people. They do everthing but interiors and paint. "Mo-Jo" and I used to strip wrecked cars for parts back in our late teens and early twentys.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:48 PM

My wife has one rule she just won't let me by-pass: the cars stay indoors, none sitting or parking overnight outside. That means two cars (she can't drive, poor eyesite) so its just the 'vette and the Porsche here, and the Camaro in a garage rented at my son's apartment complex.
Get a bigger garage!! No, seriously, I agree with her on that.... when our son lived with us a year or so ago, we kinda, uh, let him collect stuff for his projects. It started with a 9" rear end in the front yard and progressed to 2 whole cars, in pieces, of course. In the front yard. I HATED it. Looked like we were a used freakin' car lot. So, yeh, I understand that notion.

I'd still really like to move in with you.

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Well, it's a done deal. I dug the 3 sp out last night. Gonna take it to my mech and have him go through it. It's been sittin' in a wooden box for 30+ yrs.
My mechs are a Father and son business. "Feets", Dad, is a motor head from the late '50's, and his son, "Mo-Jo" has a knack for doin' engines, he is the one who, I helped, do the suspension on the "Starship". "Feets" does tranys and rear ends, he did the 3rd member on the "Starship". These two get rodders from 200 mi. around bringin' their stuff in. They love workin' on my Vette, and let me get in and work with 'em. I'm really out classed, these guys are gooood. I'll be doin' the 454/3 sp conversion at their shop.
Just a little shop, holds maybe 6 cars, in a little town of about 300 people. They do everthing but interiors and paint. "Mo-Jo" and I used to strip wrecked cars for parts back in our late teens and early twentys.
Rock 'n roll there, my friend! That's wicked; they'll do the job top drawer for you. You're gonna love it, Dave, I promise. Man, I can't wait till you get the beast rollin' bro....

Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Pardon my ignorance.... is that a TH350/400 that you can add an O/D unit to, or is it a different tranny all together?

Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I must admit, you got me there. This 3 sp W/OD came out of a 4 dr '56 Chev. I also have a stright up 3 sp. that came out of a '55 Chev.