General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 stalling problem

Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Default 94 stalling problem

I have a 94 LT1 with a 6spd. the car has 22,000 original miles. I have been having a problem with the car stalling out. It first stalled in stop and go traffic, it would restart but die again after 10-30 seconds. I thought it was the fuel pump and had it changed at a chevy dealer. I got the car back drove it a few times and it has done the same thing again. I had it towed to the dealer agian. It has been there for two weeks. They say that they are driving it everyday but it has not stalled one time. The dealer can't find a problem and tells me that several people have been driving it for up to 45 minutes at a time. The two times it stalled for me was aftering about a half hour of driving. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have already spent a lot of money just in tow bills and the fuel pump replacement. Thanks Joe

Old 09-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 stalling problem

I'm assuming there is no Check Engine light, but sometimes the EGR valve will get a piece of carbon stuck in between the pintle and seat and cause a vacuum leak at idle, which will stall an engine. Lots of things can cause a stall, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, vacuum leaks, idle control valve sticking closed. These things are somethings that need to be looked at.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 AM

I have heard of this problem before and from what I remember it was a combination of a fuel filter replacement and changing gas stations.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM

After two weeks at the dealer they told me everything was working. I called and said I'll come and drive the car. When I got there it was hooked to a battery charger, which was strange because the battery never died before. Anyway I drove the car and found the sys light on. The next morning the car had a very low battery, would hardly start the car. I called the dealer and was informed that the service person handeling my car was fired. I told them about the low batery, but I didn't feel I wanted to bring the car back to them. I found a local corvette repair shop. They found the batery draw and road tested the car but it didn't act up. I picked it up and starting to drive it again. THe shop wasn't surpised at the service recieved from the dealer. The shop said that if the draw was the problem the car should be fine and if not the problem will get worse. Thanks for your replies.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM

I hope you are right. Having that kind of problem or just any problem with a Vet sucks.
I would think if you bat was draining your gauge should have been on the neg side.
Anyway, good luck