General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

?? about C.A.I. system

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Default ?? about C.A.I. system

Hi Everyone,
I had the strangest experience today when I lifted my hood to dust off my engine. I found 2 empty snail shells, 1 golf tee, and part of an old bar of soap. Yup, I know it sounds crazy, but that is what I found under my hood in the area of my Honker. Now my question is, could the Honker suck upthose items? I can't imagine how else they got there, unless they just kicked up off the road. I must say the dried out soap was what struck me as the weirdest, butwho knows!?! Anyone else ever have any experiences like this?

Thanks in advance.
Take care, stay safe.
RJ

Old 04-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ?? about C.A.I. system

I had a simular prob, chipmonks were bringin' stuff into one of my cars. Seeds, pine cones, string, and pieces of a chewed up rubber ball.They actually nested under the hood. I went out one mornin' and saw one of the little boogers pretendin' to be a hood orniment.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 AM

Really, Dave or are you kidding?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Seriously Rita, I wouldn't make that up.
Try this, if you're goin' to leave your car parked for a few days, put some pieces of bread or unsalted peanuts on some flat surface under the hood. If you have critters, the food will disapear. If not, I really don't know what to tell ya.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 AM

Honkers and similar CAI designs do have a reputation for gathering up street crud and flinging it up but you usually find that stuff inside the chambers on top (upstream side) of the air filter. The critter story makes as much sense to me as anything except I can't understand why they would even touch a bar of soap. Perhaps there is a gap where the honker brings in air that permits road debris to bounce up around the honkers air chambers. If so, air flow would naturally take it up to the op of the engine bay: I'd look carefully for anyplace where that could be happened -- but also put out some bread to test for critters.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Ya Lee, the soap has me baffled too. Maybe the critters are doin' some spring cleaning.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:07 PM

As Lee said, "inside the chambers on top (upstream side) of the air filter."
That is exactly where I am finding it . . . just didn't know how to refer to that area. Thanks so much for making sense of all this.

Now about the crumbs of bread, I don't dare do that because I know from time to time we have critters in our garage. We have a two car garage and when we take the dogs out, we loadthe dogsinto our 4Runner. That means they get to be off lease in the garage for a bit and whenever there is or has been some critter in there, they go crazy.

My original suspicion was the Honker and now Lee's input substantiates that hunch.

Big thanks to Dave and Lee.
Take care, stay safe.
RJ