General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brakes or bearing? help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Default brakes or bearing? help please

Hi yall. My 90 has some funny noises coming from the front left wheel. Time to time I hear a constany knocking from the front left wheel. Usually happens after breaking. Happens at speed, slow and moving fast. The noise is a knock, knock, knock and is faster or slower depending on speed. Friends said maybe a floating brake pad. Took a look at the caliper and noticed that the pin on bottom felt loose. Checked the right side and the pin there is tight, no play. The left bottom pin has about a quarter inch of play, maybe an eighth inch. Caliper dosen't feel loose just the pin. Shop guy said maybe the rotor is warped. Hoping the pads are the issue. Any hope would be great. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6540/9B408058782842DC92EDDFE4FA6BCC87.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned
Default RE: brakes or bearing? help please

Closely inspect the tire for damage, same for the wheel, then check the brake rotor to see if it is "true", make sure all lug nuts are properly secured too. Bearings can be checked by raising the front wheel and rocking the top and bottom of the wheel in/out, just be careful that the car is supported properly before you start rocking it. As far as the pads are concerned, if they are worn, replace them.Your brakes aredefinitely one thing you don't want to fool around and take chances with.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, DV8 is right on with this advice. Cheers

Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the advice need to jack it up and check it out I guess. Question though... where is the best place to put the jack under? Never jacked a vette before.
Drove it today and noticed the knocking happens after a hard bump and after pressing the brake pedal. note though that the knocking stops after I press the brake pedal in and when pedal is depressed the knocking starts again. Noise continues for a while and stops after pedal is pressed again.Then continues and might stop on its own or when the pedal is pressed again. Thanks for the help. Kevin

Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM

This sounds to be brake related, although if the bearing is loose it could contribute to it. The caliper really should not be loose, and I suspect there is runout in the rotor that is contributing to the noise. Have the rotor checked for excess runout, and find out why there is play in the caliper and fix it. If there were a bearing problam you most likely would have a growl or rumble noise, probably when turning to one side or the other.