General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

C5 Headlight door

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Unhappy C5 Headlight door

My C5 Headlight doors open OK but the L/H light door recycles open and closed like a 'jack in the box' several times before stopping closed or partial closed. I'm told this is caused by the motor stops being loose, out of adjustment, or broken. Is this something I can fix myself? I've called a dealer about purchasing the stops but their no help. I'm told to bring it in and they will look at it and perhaps replace the H/L assembly (very expensive). Is this something I can fix myself? Yes I know which end of a screwdriver to hold on to........I think.
Chuck

Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 PM

I had the same problem with my 02 conv. I hated going outside to raise the hood and manually raise or lower the light(s). Whats happening is that the arm used to raise the headlight door hits a yellow plastic " stop " has made an indention in the plastic and the arm moves in too far and causes those problems. I went to my local chevy dealer and bought some, kinda expensive but everything corvette usually is. Chevy calls these parts " insulators " or at least mine did.

Maybe something is loose and I would check that first. Below is a website of when I replaced my plastic headlight gears with brass ones but the mounting should be similar.