General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

C5 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Default RE: C5 tires

WHAT EVER BRAND YOU LIKE THE TIRE RACK IS THE WAY TO GO..THEY HAVE LOTS OF INFO ON TIRES AND FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE WHO USED THEM I HAVE BOUGHT 20 TIRES FROM THEM IN A YEAR AND A HALF 16 FOR THE VETTE AND 4 FOR THE TRUCK AND ARE IMPRESSED BY THEIR SERVICE.......

Old 09-11-2005, 05:35 PM

I agree that the tire rack is the way to go. Their people give very good advice. And they have just about every tire and wheel you could want, at good prices. I've sometimes had to wait for real extremes -- I run BFG 345x18 drag radials on the rear of my vette and they only last about 3500-4000 miles even if I don't race/far less if I do, so I go through 3-4 of sets a year. I've sometimes had to wait as long as a week or so. Other times the tires arrive in two days.
My son manages a service group at the local Ford dealer and even with his employee discount, Tire Rack still is often the lowest cost.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Tire Rack has been around for awhile and they are cheaper, but with the run flats who do you have do the installs? I have heard nightmares about local tires shops screwing up the monitoring system. I would like to go with BFG but they don't show a run flat. Has any one seen or had them.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:01 AM
mse

i replaced my run flats with kumho ecsta's. they are much more comfortable and quiter and pretty cheap too.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM

I put a set of Kuhmos ecstas on an Audi S4 I had and was impressed, so i'll beat you will be happy with them. Frankly they did not turn in or corner quite as aggressively as the ContiSpeeds they replaced (which lasted only 16000 mi) but I liked them.

One interesting point is that I got nearly 1 mpg more (22 vs 21 back and forth to work) from the Kuhmos: I monitor it pretty carefully and there was no doubt they gave me better economy. I was surprised a tire could make that much difference.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Hey Chuck,
If you are still keeping up with this thread, I replaced my (BRICK) oem's with Michlen pilot sports on my 99. They are much quiter, but do sacrifice on the handling just a bit. Unless you really push the car, you probly won't notice the difference in handling though. These are runflats. Tread pattern looks really cool too [8D]

Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM

Michlen are definately the way to go.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 AM

I guess its just preference, but I never really liked Michelins, but a set of Pilots came from the factory on my Porsche and they seemed OK - but when its a new car its hard to tell -- is it the car or the tires?

But then, just this week I had both rear 285-30ZR18s on the Porsche go bad at only 6200 miles (since new, these are the factory tires) - belt slip or something - went seriously unblanced and out of round. Replaced them yesterday with Bridgestones which I'm not sure about, but had to take because that was that the only brand available immediately in the correct size . They handle a bit better and are not any noisier.

I still prefer BFG G-force.