General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can +4 iridium plugs rob voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Default Can +4 iridium plugs rob voltage?

Here is the deal, A Porsche mech. of mine told me that putting in some bad *** plugs and wires will rob voltage, and may not run right? is there any truth to this. From my understanding it will create a hotter spark and such? Can someone help me with this, should I get a differnt ingnition system? are there any set ups around that have worked for U guys?!!!!!! 86 coupe L98, auto

[IMG]local://upfiles/3562/475B0E98FA4042FCB5AEC8811A11311B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Can +4 iridium plugs rob voltage?

Any change to the electrical delivery to spark can make it not run right. That said, getting the voltage to the plug, and getting a good spark is just a good thing. Getting too hot on the spark can scorch the tops of the pistons, but the plug manufacturers know that and don't engineer anything too extreme. :P I remember when the "splitfire" plugs first came out, there were some issues with piston scorching on some boat engines that had been upgraded to extreme ignition systems (like the monster voltage coils).

Good plugs and good wires can't "rob voltage". They will do just the opposite, deliver good voltage to the electrode for spark. Crappy connectors, wires and plugs can induce resistance, keeping the voltage from getting where it should be.

bill.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Groovy! Thats what I thought too, thnks for the help! So there shouldnt be any problems with putting Hi-performance plugs and wires on a stock Cap and rotor, or should I get an upgraded coil, cap n rotor?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend. First off though, decide what you are trying to accomplish. If you have some missing or other symptoms that would make you do a tune up anyway, then I would recommend upgrading the coil, wires and plugs while you are at it. If you are just bored and have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your wallet, then sure, go ahead. I've done sillier things in my free time when I have spare cash. Several folks here have had great luck with the MSD ignitions, and similar setups. Do a search for the older discussions and get some ideas from there...

bill.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:33 PM

Your mechanic was probably thinking of one mistake some p[eople make, substituing high impedance carbon wires 9labeled as high performance sometimes), meant for certain types of electronic ignition cars, for regular types of plug wires in some older cars. That will really mess up things up and I guess in some sense might "rob voltage." But if you go with `good wires and plugs meant as an aftermarket fit to your car, you should be okay. And it will help as wrwalke says.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 AM

good to know!!!! thanks!!