General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Default CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

HELLO MY 97 C5 HAS A ENGINE LIGHT ON THE TRANSMISSION IS GIVING OFF A CODE FOR SERVICE I HAVE HAD IT SERVICED IT WORKS FINE IN NY STATE IF YOU HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON IT WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION HOW CAN I GET THE LIGHT OUT OR BY PASS IT HELP THANK YOU

Old 08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Default RE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

You can go to just about any local parts chain and have them check and clear the code for you to get the light off.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:10 PM

YES YOU CAN TAKE IT TO HAVE THE LIGHT PUT OUT BUT IT WILL CLEAR THE COMPUTER AND IN NEW YORK STATE IT WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION YOU WILL THEN HAVE TO DRIVE THE CAR 110 MILES OR SO TO REBOOT THE COMPUTER EVEN IF YOU CHANGE THE BATTERY IT WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION BECAUSE IT CLEARS THE COMPUTER SO IF ANY LIGHT COMES ON DURING THE 110 MILE RIDE YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN THERE CAN NOT BE ANY CODES FOR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND THE COMPUTER CAN NOT BE CLEARED IT WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION ITS A REAL PROBLEM EVEN A BROKEN WIRE OR SHORT OR BAD SENSOR CAN KEEP IT FROM PASSING NY STATE INSPECTION NO CAR WITH THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WILL PASS EVEN FOR SPARK PLUGS MISS FIRING ANYTHING

Old 08-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

i used to be a state inspector in PA, and that state is also very strict.

i would really recommend finding the exact reason why the CEL is on. For vehicles 1996 and newer, CELs are designated to alert the driver of an emissions related issue.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 AM

its not emissions its not 02 sensors or something simple the signal is transmission but there is nothing wrong with the tranny but it stops it from inspection

Old 08-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

but you have ahd the transmission issue repaired?

Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 PM

there is no tranny problem this is the problem just the signal going off i can do a 6 grand burn out or kick the passing gear or just drive it all day long the tranny temp is perfect my mechanic says it shifts much nicer then his 2005 new truck i have changed the filter and fluid the fluid i took out was perfect clean nice i drove 250 miles none stop sun just for fun but the check engine light stays on and the code is service transmission it will not pass ny state inspection i am not the only guy out there this happening to reg cars all over and it is the tranny light doing it what does the tranny have to do with emmissions anyway if your tranny is miss shifting or slipping or slughish you dont need a light or a mechanic to tell you you can hear and feel it

Old 08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

having lived in an emissions state, i do know what you mean about not passing because of the stupid light. i dont know how is there, but in PA, you cant even BE tested if the light is on. this may seem a bit extreme, but have you tried contacting someone at a state office, and explaining the issue? PA has exemptions for drivers who put less than 5k per year on a given car.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:02 AM

havent tried it yet with the state really just want the light out. now it comes on in 11 miles instead of 110 this car is mint mint mint with 30780 miles it has to be a short or a sensor somewhere wish you could see this vette factory chromes new mich run flats it is perfect. people think it is brand new i have never ever drove it with out a least an hours worth of cleaning at the very least it is always show cond but the light wrecks my fun ride

Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

i understand your point...when working as an inspector in PA, we had a guy come in with a 3000GT mitsubishi, and for being a 98, it was very nicely kept. he also had a phantom CEL...

i would really look into talking to someone from the state office, and check to see if there is some exemption that you can claim...for the 5,000 mile exemption in PA, you just have to take your car in, show that it does have the basic requirements, like the cat and such, and youre done...they just check your mileage...i woudl check into that.

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT