General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Corvette brake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Default Corvette brake question

hey guys i got the new caliper, went to bleed it tonight, the back two brake bleed great. a decently firm pedal. then we moved to the fron passenger the side that the new caliper was on, and all kinds of weird things happened on the front two.

We would pump it 3 times and old it then open the screw and air and fluid would come out. (1 time) closed the screw pumped 3 times and held, lossened the screw and nothing. did it one more timeand nothing. same with teh front driver, the first time air and fluid the next 3,4,5 however many time we did it there was no change. Let it sit for about 5,10,15 min or so, without touching anyhing, and tryed it again, the first time we had fluid and air, the next however many times, nothing. let it sit again and it did it one more time.

What could this be?
We checked for leaks on fittings and lines, the rubber hoses are not expanding with pressure or anything. coudl it be the master cylinder or the proportioning valve? I have no idea. any suggestions would be awesome.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Corvette brake question

Welcome to CF!
Try this.....
Start with the wheel that is closest to the master cyl., that would be the left front. Now move to the right front. Move to the rear and bleed the one that is closest in line to the master cyl. You can trace the lines to see which is closest. Generally the right rear. Next do the other rear wheel.
I reccomend that you do this twice and maybe even 3 times, to be sure that you have removed all the air in the lines.
Always start in the front, and go to each wheel in line.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, you start from the fartherest point and come to the closest point to the M/C. It sounds like you have a restriction from M/C out. What kind of problem did you have before you changed calipers?

Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mech259

Actually, you start from the fartherest point and come to the closest point to the M/C. It sounds like you have a restriction from M/C out. What kind of problem did you have before you changed calipers?
You're absolutly right, my friend!
I stand corrected!

Old age, don't cha know!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

ORIGINAL: mech259

You're absolutly right, my friend!
I stand corrected!

Old age, don't cha know!
"DITTO"[]

Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 PM

i swapped out my rearend in my 91 z28. when i did this the brake lines where left open and alot of the fluid dripped out. it took me and buddy about 30 minutes to get all the air out.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:10 AM

I changed the master cylinder, if the car has been sitting awhile(months/years)and you start upsetting all of the garbage that settles in the resevior it gets in the o-rings in the spool valve and the brake fluid just bypasses the seals, you won't build pressure.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 AM
pg

I'm more confused than ever!
70 GMC: are you working on a Vette or a truck?
C3 Starship: You are correct, according to the 74 Service Manual and the 66 to 82 Shop Manual, they say start cloest to the master clyinder.
Mech 259: You are correct according to the Haynes Manual. They say start LR-RR-LF- RF. ?????
PG

Old 03-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Ya know pg, I was taught to start at the furthest point, and always did, with success. After mech259's post, I looked in my manual, and it said exactly what he had mentioned. So,...now I'm confused too! [&:]

Quote:
C3 Starship: You are correct, according to the 74 Service Manual and the 66 to 82 Shop Manual, they say start cloest to the master clyinder.
Mech 259: You are correct according to the Haynes Manual. They say start LR-RR-LF- RF. ?????
(end quote)

You have our responces switched.
I was taught...LR, RR, RF, LF. (as viewed from the driver's seat)