General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Exhaust rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Default Exhaust rust

Hoping someone can help me...I have a 2007 C6 which I had to park outside for the winter. I had special car covers used to cover the car, however I was unable to cover the muffler. The Boston winter has not been kind, and when I checked on it recently, I noticed pretty severe rust in and around the exhaust pipes. Is this something which the warranty will cover, or is there any kind of rust remover which I can buy? The warranty mentions a 6-yr rust-through protection, which I'm not sure is applicable. I've enclosed pictures...thanks for any help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7336/1948E06076904AF28EBE4D0485BC9DE8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7336/AB07AED749BE4C6F93D9AB84AA0A37AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Exhaust rust

Unless it is rust through (and generally they are picky about "through"), you are likely on your own. You can try CLR or one of the other rust removers with a stiff brush to break up the surface rust (be careful around the chrome, don't let it sit on there long). After a good rinse and dry, ou can then hit it with a coat of black header paint (or any decent high temp spray) to seal it. I have even used "rust reformer" primer on the inside of exhaust tips before, as the heat isn't nearly as hideous as headers or near the cats. Your mileage may vary, of course.

For the rust stains on your chrome, a good chrome polish will likely work wonders. It looks like the most damage is deeper inside the tips.

bill.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM
cwb

Welcome to the boards there johnnie...

Send a note to the dealer. Return receipt requested! See what they do. Get something on paper! A visit goes away whenYOU go away. A telephone call goes away when you hang up. Email is the same.

Paper don't 'go away'.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 PM
rei

Like anything else, proper application with the best rust converters is key to a rust-free future. While you can toss your grinder and sandpaper then and oiled cloth, you still have to start with a clean, dust-free surface. A soft wire brush is the best tool to remove any errant particles, followed by a thorough vacuuming of the impacted surface. Soluble salts, like those used to de-ice winter roads, should be rinsed with water, and road grease needs to be removed as well.

source is from: www.mobil.com

Also Happy b-day to you cwd...enjoy the rest of the day...