General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Further upgrades needed after all this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Default Further upgrades needed after all this?

Hay everybody! About to replace the intake system andadd shorty headers (I know...but I live in CA where smog legality is a major issue) and X-pipe on my C5 (I already have Borla Stingers). Going to put on a Vararam, new housing for the MAF to increase it to 80mm, new air bridge duct with smooth coupler, 80mm BBK TB, and Weiland intake manifold.

After the above is done, will I need to upgrade the fuel delivery?Will aprogrammer like the Diablosport Predator to tune my car be enough?

Allinsights, opinions, and commentswelcome! Thanks in advance!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 AM
cwb
Default RE: Further upgrades needed after all this?

You might have to adjust the fuel pressure regulator. And if it can't be adjusted mechanically, the computer control might need re-coding/re-writing...

Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 10-21-2007, 02:02 AM

ummmm the GUY above me is incorect in everything he said, let me set it strait for you, your exhaust is mostly all you pay for it, so if you buy $150 headers you get $150 headers(exhaust leaks and less power than what you started with), you buy $500 headers you get $500 headers(quality that will last a long time and never leak and also make good power and flow), most bolt on mods will give you enough power that you can feel each , but when you install all of those you WILL need to get your car tuned at a local dyno shop to make much more power, TUNE YOUR CAR!!! I can not stress this enough!!! if want to get you money worth in terms of power you need to do this!!!

Think of it this way, you are "opening" up all of the airways to your engine but with all of that air you are still only getting the same amount of fuel.... so all of the flow doesnt make a very big difference unless you get it TUNED and get that fuel you engine will be needing after the mods to make more power, keep in mind that it can be expensive to tune it but less than all of your mods cost.. unless you tune it after the mods you will have spent all of your money and time and effort for a small increse in power.

Dont forget that in most cases the "bolt on mods" you buy you are getting what you paid for, so if you bought $150 headers it is not worth you time to put them on your car, also if you buy stainless will last the longest ( but it can get very spendy) and it will look good for a long time. as a reminder in your exhaust system its all about flow, not hollowing out it all with 4" ehxaust like you would if it was un-naturally asperated(ie. turbo, surpercharger) so dont "free" it up tooo much of you will loose flow.

I hope this helps you

Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies, they have helped a lot! I haven't bought the headers yet because I really DO NOT want shorties, but they are the only ones legal in California. My car is due for smog for my Feb. registration, so I think after I smog it I'll get the LT headers and X-pipe from LG. Only thing I have to worry about is my next smog 2 years down the road. I haven't got the Intake Manifold yet because I'll probably put that on when I put on the headers. I will get it tuned, but I don't like what the local dyno tuner was telling me so I'm still searching. I may just take it down to A&A Corvettes in Oxnard...

Any thoughts on the Hypertech III?!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 10-21-2007, 11:43 PM

ok then, sense you act like yourthe expert here, a simple question for you then:
In this situation will a cust. tune give him more power w/ the mods than w/ out a tune???
ok then..... will it be beneficial to the owner to get it tuned.... ummm well lets see... more HP... less HP.... I think more is better but thats just me.

UH-HUMM now did you post:
"Can I take the wiper arms off a 92 Chevrolet...."car".....and then put it on a 92 vette or any year car on any year vette? Specifics? Are the actual arms of teh wipers different on vettes than on other chevrolets? Thanks!" Yea im sure YOUR the expert here.....lets see great Q? there Snow.... real confusing I know, so many wiper arms to choose from so many different chevys....mabey we can all learn from you.

and to pewter2000: bbk make a very nice set of shortys if im not mistsaken. but dont let him discourage you with all of the bad info he is feeding every one.

Sooo you need to slow your roll and stop playing 'know it all' b/c if your asking Q like that you need some basic experience, not saying there is anything wrong with asking Q's but dont pretent to have all of the answers when you dont..... and yes I have read all of your 56 post and yes I have a pretty good conception of your automotive knowledge anf buddy youhave a lot to learn about engine and car performance...

Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 PM

and BTW how do you know the 'smooth inlet hose' "doesnt do anything"??? did you go get it dyno'd after putting it on .... didnt think so... oh mabey with your 'special' ability to sense HP with the touch of your foot is not working, 40 HP does nothing ,I dont think you have ever had a200HP thatis light with an added 40HP...

if your going to cut everyhting down at least have some GOOD supporting evidence to back your claim.

To all else on the forum I apologise for my bitterness and haste but this guy is really getting on my nerves, im sorry for the debate on this but im not going to let this one go. He does have the right to his opinion but that means I have the right to opinionate my self for his opinion being wrong.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM

With those mods I wouldn't get a tune either. After I had done more exstenive modding to it and juiced or tweaked some internals like the cam, then I would get it tuned. Tuning it now and then having to have it retuned after more work has been done seems to be wasting money to me.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Further upgrades needed after all this?