General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My 427 is back in teh shop again

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Default My 427 is back in teh shop again

My '02 has been in the shop for a couple of weeks now. Originally I dropped it off to have a really good "road tune" done -- tuning it for partial throttle on the street (it runs great flat out). It had an on-again/off-again flat spot at 2200 just driving on the street, and an unwillingness to hold an idle when warming up when the air is cool.

My shop called with bad news: the flat spot is a lack of turbulence in my ported Patriot III heads at a narrow RPM band are partial throttle and just there forever -- the price I pay for heads that breath close to 350 at .60 inch lift (these are not standard Patriott II heads, I had them opened up a bit more after getting them from Patriot).

And good news. They dynoed the car and found it gained 38 RWHP at the top and 40+ ft lbs across the mid range since last time: they think it is both a bit looser (it had <1000 miles on it last time) and that the rings finally really seated well (it has custom CP pistons with special rings which I was warned would take up to 2500 miles to seat completely, and it did blow smoke at full throttle 'til about 3000 miles).

More bad news: at full throttle, the F:A ratio is okay, but . . . the injectors were at 140% (they are 58 lb ones already) and the fuel pressure regulator is open fully and the pump is maxed out.

Sooooo, I am have a complete new fuel system -- I think 18 or 24 volts -- put in that will require higher voltage to a set of something like 80 lb injectors or something and a second fuel pump and a whole new injector wiring harness plus an auxillary injector computer that kicks in at full thorttle, or something like that -- I trust the shop regardless . . .

And I am having a new crank pulley installed to change the ratio on the SCr to more boost (all this so far is on only 5 lbs), to about 7 lbs.

I am hoping for some real increase now . . . should be another week or two.