General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Default Nitrogen Filled Tires

What's the story? Does it help or is it just B.S.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Default RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires

I think it may help MAY.... It probably does give you a little better gas mileage. But all the bs about how it improves this or that. Its just that bs. I may be wrong but air is air. Yes its lighter and thats it. Someone correct me if im wrong which, I may be but I dont think its all its cracked up to be....

Old 11-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

BOOM!!!

Naw,.......... It won't blow up, but I can see no practicle use for it in your tires.
I rank this as BS to the N'th degree.

Nitrogen is the largest single component of the Earth's atmosphere (78.084% by volume, 75.5% by weight).

14Nitrogen is created as part of the fusion processes in stars.

Compounds that contain this element have been observed by astronomers, and molecular nitrogen has been detected in interstellar space by David Knauth and coworkers using the Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer. Molecular nitrogen is a major constituent of Titan's thick atmosphere, and occurs in trace amounts of other planetary atmospheres.

Nitrogen is present in all living tissues as proteins, nucleic acids and other molecules. It is a large component of animal waste (for example, guano), usually in the form of urea, uric acid, and compounds of these nitrogenous products.

Make up your own mind!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 AM

One of the nice benifits of nitrogen is ,it will inhibit corosion on the inside of your nice aluminum wheels ( air promotes corrosion ) the molecules are larger in nitrogen so the tires ( rubber is actually porous ) wont leak down as much over winter storage, ( Nitogen is also an inert gas so don't worry about explosion unless you way over fill)

One thing I want to try is the stability of pressures with temperature , I race my car in autocross and I find with air temp and heat from running I gain like 5 psi at times . If I can keep the tires at the same pressure when I start a run as when I finnish ( or from morning to afternoon ) I might be able to run faster times .

I guess it all depends what your needs are , I hear that some wheel companies are mounting up their wheel combos using nitrogen for some of the reasons I have stated. I still have air in mine .( so far )
Cheers

Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 AM

Hi. Can't help but clear up some items for those of you who wonder about nitrogen servicing of tires:

In aircraft tire maintenance, nitrogen is used for several reasons.

1. If high quality (US mil aircraft run 99.5% nitrogen pure or better) it displaces moisture - key to cutting corrosion within the wheel/tire assembly. Less than 95% and moisture is still significantly present in "nitrogen" air. Proven.

2. It displaces any oxygen that would be in normal air (up to 21% at sea level) - greatly reduces a
"hot brake" condition from causing a more serious situation, normally a fire caused by setting
the tire's rubber and axle/bearing lubrication on fire - regular air will cause explosive results if
suddenly vented onto a fire with 21% oxygen content. Proven.

3. High quality nitrogen is free of the contaminants that accelerate the breakdown of components
in the either the tire or wheel. It's inert, therefore doesn't react with or catalyze chemical reactions,
especially in chemically non-stable petroleum rubber products. Proven.

These 3 are the main reason to service tires with high grade nitrogen.

However, for those not convinced:

4. Density/mass is not an issue. You'd have to have a tire containing thousands of cubic feet of nitrogen to realize any mass difference. Even large aircraft tires, serviced to 325 (or more) psi don't have the volume to reveal more than a few grams of difference. This arguement is pure bull, especially in tires as small as on a car.

5. Leakdown rates are not different that air. Since the molecular size of nitrogen is a constant in air and in a pure state, it will leak out at the same rate through a similar membrane, ie. the tire's rubber.

6. Gas mileage increase will not happen. Ever.

7. Change to heat dissipation or transfer rates will not happen. (However, a nitrogen pure tire will not incur moisture vaporization/condensation during transitions, due to moisture (hydrogen/oxygen) having been displaced by nitrogen molecules in a given sample.)

The overall point is that nitrogen will keep your tires and wheels around longer by reducing moisture (therefore corrosion) within them. And, in the event that you encounter a fire where the tire ruptures, they will cause far less explosive result due to lack of oxygen within. Neither of these is generally an issue with an automobile.

The average Joe doesn't need to use it.

'rider
(active duty USAF, 19 yrs, aircraft maintenance - F-16s, CV-22s)

Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM

If it is good enough for the F-16s, gota make my car faster , don't ya think ? lmao
diesel mechanic 12 years, electrician 15 years ,9 years secondary college, wrenching on cars for 30 years , two kids and a wife , no divorces .

Just kidding around , Keep those planes in the air xxrider
cheers

Old 12-15-2006, 01:13 AM

Nitrogen does help maintain a consistant tire pressure. As with heat your tire pressure grows. Running solid Nitro will reduce the growth of the pressure overall. we run a nascar late model out here on the short tracks of ca. and only run nitro in our tires. We have done several tests using air and nitro thru our many years or racing, and for example on our RR Tire we run 28 to start, with air we'd grow around 10lbs. With nitro we grow about 3-5 lbs. Having a more consistant tire pressure will improve wear and probably mileage. Might be minimal, but it does do something as opposed to absoloutely nothing.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM

SEE ,,thats what I am talking about , a guy that races and has done some testing of his own ! in the short runs I do in auto cross I gain lots of pressure in a short time , Thats why I wanted to use nitrogen , consistant pressure ,means better lap times , if I can get a handle on what I should be running for a particular track or track temp. Just like my camber adjustments change for certain tires at least I can at least take out some of the pressure build up into consideration.

Man I can't wait for summer to run my car again
Merry christmas everyone
Robert

Old 12-16-2006, 01:19 AM

WOW!!!
Who would have ever thought that a simple thread like this would have brought out such a responce. We now have learned that C3 Starship is not really a truck driver from Reno, but a scientist and astronomer. I AM IMPRESSED. He probably works in Houston on a secret research project. I'll bet he knows Buzz and all the boys on a first name basis. There sure ani't no truck drivers in N. C. that talk like that. I don't know about F16's but I did own a 1946 Cessna 140 for 5 years and I don't think my tires ever saw any nitrogen. It was 44 years old when I bought it and I never had any problems with corrosion. I can understand the Nascar deal, cause those boys ain't rednecks anymore. If they can get a 10th of a second they will take it. How much is nitrogen? Air at the Circle K has gone up to 75 cents. Just the ramblings of an dumb old Harley riding firefighter. Harleyboy

Old 12-16-2006, 12:40 PM

So you have a private pilots licence ? cool wish I had access to a plane ( always wanted to fly )

You have to pay for air? thats just plain nuts. silly people, air should be free.( .75 per psi ? or what , ) sounds pretty redneck to me . lmao.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires