General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires

ORIGINAL: harleyboy52

WOW!!!
Who would have ever thought that a simple thread like this would have brought out such a responce. We now have learned that C3 Starship is not really a truck driver from Reno, but a scientist and astronomer. I AM IMPRESSED. He probably works in Houston on a secret research project. I'll bet he knows Buzz and all the boys on a first name basis. There sure ani't no truck drivers in N. C. that talk like that. I don't know about F16's but I did own a 1946 Cessna 140 for 5 years and I don't think my tires ever saw any nitrogen. It was 44 years old when I bought it and I never had any problems with corrosion. I can understand the Nascar deal, cause those boys ain't rednecks anymore. If they can get a 10th of a second they will take it. How much is nitrogen? Air at the Circle K has gone up to 75 cents. Just the ramblings of an dumb old Harley riding firefighter. Harleyboy
I like drivin' truck! I did spend some time in the Physics lab and Astronomy classes in college. (Now you see why I fly a "Starship" ) I majored in Geology and got my A.S. degree. Had to quit school, before I could go for my Bachelor's.

I do see the benefit of using Nitrogen in the racing world, but for every day use, I think it's a waste of money.

PS.
Don't cut yourself short, Harleyboy, we all have wisdom and knowledge that others don't possess. I used to provide my water truckfor fighting wild fires. You have my respect! Not just anybody can do your job![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 PM

Thanks Starship, Yea, I'm not as dumb as I seem to be. Your oracle on nitrogen just blew my mind. I knew you didn't pick that up on the street. And yes Crash I do have a private pilot license. I started flying when I turned 40 and my wife thought I had gone crazy. I owned 4 different airplanes. I kept stepping up each time. I always loved taildraggers. They are a hand full on the ground, but oh so graceful in the air. I always got respect from the airline pilots everywhere I went. Most of them couldn't fly a taildragger. Of course I can't fly a 747 either. I haven't flown in several years, but still can. I'm flying low nowadays. Harleyboy

Old 12-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, I love taildraggers! I used to fly a Piper Cub with my Dad, when I was a kid. Don't have my license, but I still know how.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 AM

My best friend has a J3 Cub that his father bought new in '46. He could fly the mess out of that Cub but didn't have a pilot license and wanted one. We went out to our local airport (we have service with Delta and US Air) to get him some flying lessons. As it turned out there wasn't an instructor on the field that could fly a taildragger. I ended up teaching an instructor how to fly that Cub and he flew aronud with my friend putting time in his log book. The instructor just sat there and watched Randy fly. We took the wings off the Cub a couple of years ago and it is in a barn in back of his mothers house. I have a lot of great memories about flying.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Oh.....Dude.....,I'd love to hear some stories, put some in "True Stories of...." in the off topic forum! I'll add some of mine too!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 PM

I think it's just allot of BS...
If it was any benefit at all, we would be hearing allot more about it.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash

SEE ,,thats what I am talking about , a guy that races and has done some testing of his own ! in the short runs I do in auto cross I gain lots of pressure in a short time , Thats why I wanted to use nitrogen , consistant pressure ,means better lap times , if I can get a handle on what I should be running for a particular track or track temp. Just like my camber adjustments change for certain tires at least I can at least take out some of the pressure build up into consideration.

Man I can't wait for summer to run my car again
Merry christmas everyone
Robert
Also keep in mind we run non radial slicks, the #1 reason we need air pressure control is because of tire size. In our tires 10lbs of air pressure will increase the diameter of the tire by 1" on average. We have our tire staggers so dialed in to where .5" of stagger will greatly affect the handling of the car. Avg tire temps I think (going from memory) are like 190-200 across the tire. Plus running a lot of laps on a 1/2 mile oval will put lots of heat in the tires quick. I don't know how hot regular street tires will get on a road coarse to affect the tire growth, but any little bit could affect the handling of the car. But unless you have your car dialed in with 4 corner scales and you have coilovers all the way around with your crossweights set for the best handling of the car I'm not sure how much 3-5psi of increase will affect a regular car. Just giving you guys some more insight on how it works with what we do. here is our site, www.leonardmotorsports.com

-Jalil

Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

PS.
Don't cut yourself short, Harleyboy, we all have wisdom and knowledge that others don't possess. I used to provide my water truckfor fighting wild fires. You have my respect! Not just anybody can do your job![sm=icon_rock.gif]
I agree.

'rider

Old 12-20-2006, 12:36 PM

Some great info isracing , I am using radial road racing tires and hight is no concern , I have to get the tires up to temp for traction ( which is my main problem being as the tire was not designed for short runs ) but air pressurs that is low enough for heat build up and high enough so I don't get sidewall roll over or loss of center contact. I have heard of stuff to put on tires to soften them and give them more grip ( some local gocart guys do this the night before they race ) ever hear of that? I also thought of using a heat sourse to prewarm the tire before my run (but that is probably against the rules)
Cheers Rob

Old 12-22-2006, 03:59 AM

Is it worth to go and buy nitrogen to fill your tires, no. But there are some places, like costco, that will fill your tires with nitrogen for free with the purchase of tires. So if its free i say go for it.

You could fill your tires with helium and make your car lighter [sm=lol.gif]

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires