General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil pan hits steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default Oil pan hits steering

O. K., here's the prob.
When I went to set the 454 on the frame mounts, I could get the passenger side to line up, but then the driver's side lacks about 3/4 inch of lining up. This is due to the oil pan hitting on the steering. So,....my question is;
What was the last year that 454's were put in Vettes? I figure if I get an oil pan from that year, it will solve my prob.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:34 AM
cwb
Default RE: Oil pan hits steering

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

O. K., here's the prob.
When I went to set the 454 on the frame mounts, I could get the passenger side to line up, but then the driver's side lacks about 3/4 inch of lining up. This is due to the oil pan hitting on the steering. So,....my question is;
What was the last year that 454's were put in Vettes? I figure if I get an oil pan from that year, it will solve my prob.
I don't suppose you can dis-connect the column, and drop the block in, and then re-connect the column...

That might be the thing to do anyway, if not only to check engine mount/frame alignment...

Do you have pics of where you are on this???

Old 05-28-2007, 09:41 AM
cwb

If you put a rubber mallet to the side of the pan, will you have internal clearance issues? Oil volume/oil level issues? 3/4 of an inch is a lot to take in, but what's your options?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I appologise for not explaing well enough. The oil pan is hitting the steeringrelay rod that crosses under the front portion of the pan. I wouldn't use a rubber mallet on the pan, brutality is not the cure. I want to do it right. I feel it will be a combination of the propper pan and motor mounts.I'd still like to know what years the 454 was available for Vettes. Not in '80, 'cause I can't find applications for that year. I believe '74 was the last year, but not sure

Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 AM
cwb

I appologise for not explaing well enough. The oil pan is hitting the steeringrelay rod that crosses under the front portion of the pan. I wouldn't use a rubber mallet on the pan, brutality is not the cure. I want to do it right. I feel it will be a combination of the propper pan and motor mounts.I'd still like to know what years the 454 was available for Vettes. Not in '80, 'cause I can't find applications for that year. I believe '74 was the last year, but not sure
I don't even know what a relay rod is. TIE rod, maybe?

Seems strange to have a unilateral clearance issue, instead of all the way across...

Brutality? Okay. If you can't find another application, then pull the pan, put a cutting torch to it, re-weld with the proper clearance, and call it fabrication. You should see some of the tricks they pull at Fountain Power Boats with marine fuel cells. The only reason you couldn't call it 'demolition', is cause they're gonna' USEwhat they're workin' on.

But keep us posted on this. I'm curious...

Old 05-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

The relay rod connects between the left and right tierods, tieing them together. The relay rod also connects from the pitman arm to the idler arm. The tie rods connect roughly 12 inches from either end of the relay rod.
Fabricate?, yes, I can do that! I have the tech and knowhow, but I would rather not, since the right parts are available. I just have to find out which ones are which.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Correction, after crawlin' back under to give things a look, I see that the pan is hitting on the power steering cyl. where it connects to the relay rod.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:53 AM
cwb

Correction, after crawlin' back under to give things a look, I see that the pan is hitting on the power steering cyl. where it connects to the relay rod.
When the pan was at the steering link, did you look at the back of the block to look at the bellhousing alignment? Some blocks have a rearward lean of a few degrees, as opposed to sittinglevel on the frame. If your blockperches like this, you get your clearance back with no problem.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

The pan has three levels, stepped if you will,from the front, about 6 inches back,and then where the sump is. If the second level was the same as the front, there would be no prob.
After seaching through several online cats, and viewing some pics, I'm convinced that I have the wrong oil pan for the Vette application.
I'm calling Summit's tech support today, to verify the propper oil pan.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM
pg

Hi Starship, 454 were offered from 70 to 74. Not sure if cars with power steering had a special pan, but I'm still looking for more info. PG

Quick Reply: Oil pan hits steering