General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Default Traction Control

Hello all,

I have a question about the Traction Control on my 02 C5... after weeks of searching the net for some answers I was forced to take it to the dealer. after a few days I received a call stating that when the tires were rotated the rear tires were put on the front and thr fronts on the rear... they stated that the front tires are an inch smaller then the rears and that having the smaller tires on the rear causes the traction control system to activate its self at about 40mph. Please note that when I rotated the tires I was able to drive the car at high speeds for about a day and after doing a massive burnout the system would start acting funny (basically making the car have no power over 40 mph) if someone could give me some pointers or information verifying this to be true or discrediting htere statemnet it would be greatly appriciated.

Please note that the dealer is trying to cgarge me $300 to rotate the tires back to the correct way.

Thanks

Ray

Old 08-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Traction Control

is the car drivable? if so, go take your car back, and rotate them yourself. or take it to a corporate shop, like monro or meineke..when i worked at monro we charged like 20 bucks for regular rotation, and for something like a vette, we would charge 70, but that woudl be a balance and rotation.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 PM

The information they gave you is correct. The traction control system, and the ABS system are set up for the stock tire sizes. As long as you stay relatively close, everything is ok. But swapping front for rear is pulling everything 2 diameter inches out of whack. So, when you're driving, the car thinks that the front wheels are spinning too slow and that the rears are spinning too fast. Same thing with braking. This actually creates a rather hazardous situation. The ABS sensors think that the rears are spinning too fast and will modulate the rear brake calipers which could cause a spinout.

I'd do as suggested above. Pick up the car and rotate the tires yourself.
Now, I've never seen the tires rotated this way but, doesn't it look kind of odd? I'd think so.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Wow, you actually put the rear tires and wheels on the front and vice versa, and didn't notice?