General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Screw it, go get the Vette since you really want one.
72.73%
Keep on working on the truck and just keep the old bird as is
18.18%
Finish the Truck project and blow and cam the Bird
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Vette or not to Vette that is the Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Default Vette or not to Vette that is the Question?

Well I’ve had this running threw my mind forever. I’ve always wanted a Corvette, but really im a 21 year old, lives at home with my parents still, work a 50 hour a week job...and not to sure if I can afford one and get ready to move out yet. I have a 97 Formula which has been my baby since High School, and I started a Short Bed Chevy (80...or soon to be 76) semi resto project. And well I was thinking about it last night, I only have 2 more years until the Bird is fully paid off and if I was to go out and buy a C5 well that would but me in a good 15-18K in debt, which I wouldn’t be able to move out yet...or for sometime. I mean its not like the old Bird is in bad shape at all, really clean and doesn’t even look like it has 102K miles on it, and really I’ve only put 30K on it in 4 years this feb. I was just thinking about finished my Truck project, and maybe caming and blowing the LT1 have the best of both worlds. Or Sell the LT1 and get a C5 and have a bone stock C5 for.....well awhile.

What’s everyone think? Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Vette or not to Vette that is the Question?

Save your money and move out. Wait to buy a vette until you are on your own feet and making a bit more money. There will plenty of time for 'vettes down the road.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:48 PM

I "ditto" this
Get your life movin in the right direction, and than get a Vette. You HAVE plenty of time, and you know the good thing is....
They will only get better as the years go by, Just thing you could be the first to own a C8 or C9

Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Ya, finish your truck, but instead of blowin' and cammin' the LT-1, put that doe toward your move! Drive that "bird" 'til the wheels fall off. Make car payments to yourself in the meantime,and save for a down on a Vette.
That's what I'd tell my own son!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 AM

Buy the vette when your over 25 years old. then you won't get robbed by the insurance co.Loose the truck project, save your money,be gentle with the bird so it lasts until you're ready to loose it. Buying a vette is always a good idea,but planning has its advantages.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Well ya see what im gonna do is, scrap the truck resto project...and instead just keep the 76 C-20 and drive that, take some of the stuff off the 80 and take it to the junker. With the bird im gonna pay it off and Turbo the car STS kit, already bought the Aeromotive fuel system and soon ill buy the 42lbs Ford Motorsport injectors. so it will still be really fun, and i wont have a car payment to mess with anymore so i can move out.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 PM

I agree with everybody else. I would definitely move out before I buy the Vette. I purchased my house in May of '05 when I was 23 and purchased the Vette in Sept of the same year. So my point is you definitely want to get you own place and take a few months to make sure you can handle all of your new bills and then if there is cash left over every month go and splurge on your Vette. Either way good luck.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't want to be the lone detractor, BUT if you get along with your parents(can come and go as you please) and they are not on you to move out,there is nothing wrong with living at home as long as youcan. I'vehad both experiencies (lived on my own in Phila, Texas and Miami) and then moved back home and lived with my parents for 1-2 years. I can honestly say I saved more money in2 years at homethan the8 years on my own. That money partly went to buy my 2007 Z-51 convertible this fall so all's well that ends well. Plus you never know how long you will have your parents around and now that I am a father I know I hope my kids stay at home as long as theycan.Time gos by all to fast. Thats my 2 cents worth. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 PM

A good buddy of mine had two Trans Ams (both 93's) and a Turbo import, and even though he was strapped for cash, he always wanted a Corvette (kind of similar story to yours). Anyways, he found a killer deal on a C5, and next thing ya know he owned it. He loved it since day one, but slowly he ended up modding it as well, and thats when he realized he couldn't afford to have everything he owned. Long story short, his one project "race car" that he had boasted about for years that would beat everyones car (which ended up never even having the motor put together for), he ended up selling because he no longer could afford it. His other Trans Am got in a light fender bender accident, and he hasn't even bothered getting it fixed because he is to involved with his new big plans to get his Vette turbocharged. Coming from an F-body guy, I really felt he has sold out his original cars for his Vette. IMO, its kind of sad. However he says he is happier with his decision about getting his Vette because it was his dream car. Although I cannot understand his exact actions, I can understand wanting a car so bad you would do nearly anything to attain it. So from his stand point, maybe if it's what you really want, you should go for it!

Sorry about the novel here

Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 PM

Nothing wrong with novels, they make life interesting.

I think many people fall in love with an image or their own expectation of a car and then, it either costs too much, or they find the car doesn't fulfil their promise. Either way it is kind of sad. I had a '66 275 GTB in the early 70s that was the first type: it was a the most undesireable 275 model -- short nose, three carburator, steel body (even so it would fetch over $500K today ), but I went broke just replacing the driveshaft U-joints, etc., routine maintenance and all, so I took an opportunity to sell if for $1000 more than I paid for it, even though it broke my heart.
I've avoided buying my "dream car" --always wanted a'67 Corvette 427 4-speed coupe, silver,for the second reason -- Inothing could live up to the expectations I formed at ago 17 and have kept all these years. Better to let that one just live in my imagination.