General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is anaerobic sealant ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Default What is anaerobic sealant ?

Hello everyone !! I am as newbie as it gets
I've been registered to CAC corvette action center , you know , but for already some time I keep getting
those " not permitted" messages . I just don't know what happened to that fabulous forum . Tried to reach it from different comps , but to no result
Can anyone shed some light on what happened ?
And you see my question as a topic name . It says I have to apply anerobic sealant to mating surfaces of either block or rear main seal cap.
I just don't know what kind of a sealant is that ... Please help !

PS And I hope this forum won't dissappear like CAC one ...

max

Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Default RE: What is anaerobic sealant ?

anaerobic means "without air". Most glues and adhesives require air to cure (harden). anaerobic adhesives don't need air to cure. Check out sur-lok (link below), loc-tite, and other automotive adhesive companies... Internal engine adhesives and sealants might get a coating of fluid which would delay or prevent curing in aerobic products.

http://www.surlok.com/tds/1603.htm

bill.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

I use high temp black silicone at my shop. Make sure mating surfaces are clean and dry, apply silicone, let it skin over for a couple of minutes, then bolt together. Honda makes some of the best anaerobic sealant we have ever used.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:53 AM

Thank you guys . I've been on a vacation here , away from net .
Big help actually from you , just that I majorly screwed here .
I read from a piece of paper that came with gaskets that you have to apply anaerobic sealant to mating surfaces
of either block or " main bearing rear cap " , while I was dealing with
"rear mail seal retainer " . Just properly messed up here
So no need for this anaerobic sealant after all . I didn't touch caps or crank .
Had to weld some aluminium to heads , because in one place between water jacket and
compression chamber some nasty openings appeared .Let coolant to properly bleach 7th piston . Probably because of use of
bad coolant . So there is another question : What sealant I have to use ??
I need some specs , cause I am in Baltics , and it is a bit different from the states .
Maybe there is some common classification ??

And again , anybody know , what happened to CAC forum , there was so much nice people .

max