New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Default advice needed

My partner and I are in the process of possibly purchasing a 1975 Stingray for $1500. The car has been sitting in a detached garage on a concrete floor and has not been started for approx. 15 years. 85K for mileage. Body looks good. owner says that when it was put away the radiator was busted. checked under the hood and there was evidence of mice or some other rodent???? tires obviously all deflated. Can someone advise what in particular we might be able to identify as a major concern before purchasing??? would the fact that the car has been sitting on a concrete floor for 15 years be a problem with accelerating the rusting process? any advice would be appreciated. thanks!!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned
Default A love - hate relationship?

$1500.00?

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. At worst you can disassemble it and make a profit from the parts.

What to look for?
With 4 flat tires you won't be able to look under the car and see much, but I would want to see how the frame looks. Look for rust holes and/or accident damage.
The brakes are going to need a complete overhaul.
4 new tires.
Rebuild the engine and transmission or replace them.
A new Radiator is a given too....
Rodents? They LOVE to chew on wiring and rubber items like hoses.
Complete interior replacement.
Replace all suspension bushings.
I can go on and on.....

One thing you need to understand is that many of us on these forums have completely overhauled our Corvettes. Either you love the car and time and money is no object or go buy a new Kia or something that will serve you well. You will not come out ahead financially with a C3, but you just may end up falling in love with it. Once you drive one of these babies and experience the thrill they can give you, you will be hooked!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 AM

Dirty fingernails are cool! Rent or buy the movie Corvette Summer. Then decide "do ya got what it takes?" Look forward to busted knuckles , sleepless nights , empty bank accounts , lifelong friends , and memories that no one can take away. I put $15k into a Z-28 one time , just to trade for a rusty K-5 Blazer and $4 thousand dollars. But at my 20year highschool reunion , all the hot chicks remembered...my pretty black Camaro. LOL. BUY IT! If you don't save it...find some one that WILL ! You will sleep better at night. I promise.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Smile thanks!

Definitely gonna be lots of time and money but rising to the challenge and can't wait to take my first blast in my new best friend !!!!:

Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

Good choice!