New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

C4 towing capability

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Default RE: C4 towing capability

Is that in reference to an old bumper sticker that says "I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford"?
In any case for those of you who have contributed to my original post on towing many, many thanx. I had already towed a full size GMC Jimmy that had 2 small blocks in the back (one of them belonging to my '78 Vette) along with a Turbo 400 trans and a spare transfer case. At the same time in the bed of the step-side C-10 was my Gold Wing along with another small block plus misc. junk. Needless to say I was asking alot out of a '73 1/2 ton pick-up but with a fresh 300hp crate motor new aluminum radiator w/ dual electric fans, engine oil cooler and a fresh 4 speed Saginaw w/ Zoom clutch she performed remarkably well.
But that was a pick-up and my biggest concern on my '93 Vette was the strain on the differential along with the trans. Leaving California there is a HUGE mountain grade on Hwy 58 leaving Bakersfield up to Tehachapi. Then after crossing the Colorado River into Arizona it is uphill all the way to Flagstaff. Not to mention crossing the Blue Ridge Mountains from Knoxville, TN into Asheville, NC.
I'll be taking LOTS of photos of this trip and will post after my (hopefully uneventful) arrival in NC. Never seen a Vette pull a Vette before much less coast to coast.