New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Greetings from NM

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Default Greetings from NM

You know, owning a vette of any year is everything it's cracked up to be. I'm 51. I remember as a small boy around 1964 a guy down the road in NH owned a new white one and I'll never forget it. Love them ever since but things always came up. Running around in the military for 20 years, Kids & college. I'm not a wealthy man by any means but do okay I guess.

I've had opportunity from time to time and came close on occasion. Funny thing is it was two years agowhen "Katrina" drove up the gas prices and I was on the move for another Harley. Was in no hurry but my big truck sucks down the gas (still have it). Could not find what I wanted over a coupl e months and one day, just started looking at vettes again. The photo in my avatar is the original ad photo.

I had been wrecked a few years ago and the entire front end is new and beautifully painted straight black. Camwith a salvage title but as most vette owners know, this means nothing on these cars. Unlike my son who decided to buy a real nice 4x4 on a salvage and spent a couple grand fixing the issues. Beautiful truck but he can't give it away.

Nothing to stop me this time and wham bam, did it. Of course my long time girlfriend (15 yrs)had fun with me. Some gas saver eh? I've put about 2500 into it on general repairs etc.I gave $7000 for it. It really is all about the car. Any year,any style and can be a real POS and will still get looks anywhere you go. I recall telling a co worker not long ago that I had one when a related conversation came up. They looked at like "really?" Like I'm made of money or something. Thing is if bought a new dodge neon for twice this amount, nobody cares. Strange world we live in.

I learned many lessons when I was younger on selling vehicles or items I wish I'd kept. This car is going nowhere and will give it to my son-----when I'm dead.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Greetings from NM

Welcome to CF!
Great Story!
Mine is very simular. I was6 in 58, whenI got my first ride in a brand new Vette. Never will forget it.46 yrs later, the dream came true.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
pg
Default Greetings from North Carolina!

Hi cyclic hardover and welcome to the forum.
Your so correct about a Vette being all it's cracked up to be. They are just fun to drive. That was ( as C3 Starship said ) a great story.
I've had my car for a few years and if it's not raining I always take the vette, I sometimes forget how special these car are but when you stop at a light and the guy next to you honks to get your attention and gives you the " Thumbs Up " then I smile! Welcome again and don't forget the "Wave " PG