New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Greetings from San Jose, CA

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Default Greetings from San Jose, CA

Hello,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'mthe proud owner of a Daytona Blue 1964 Sting Ray coupe that was bought brand new by my father. The car has been a member of my family since the paperwork was signed by my father in May, 1964.

I've owned "Dad's Car" since 1998 and it has always brought a smile to my face whenever I see it or drive it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Default RE: Greetings from San Jose, CA

Welcome! I'm dying to see some pics!! I have been looking for a 63 or 64 project car now that I'm done with my 72. That's really awesome that you have kept that car in the family since purchasing it! Glad to have you with us.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CFs!
That is great, that ya have "Dad's car". [sm=icon_rock.gif]
....and yes, we'd sure love ta see pics of your "Baby".

Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

There are some photos of my '64 Sting Ray here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locoboy...7602665655880/

Despite what it looks like in those cloudy day photos, my car is Daytona Blue and not black. One of the reasons why my father loved Daytona Blue was because he got two paint colors for the price of one!

As my mother recently said when she saw me washing and waxing it, "boy, I sure wish that I looked *that* good when I was 40+ years old!" It was my parents' honeymoon car when they went on a week long road trip from Sacramento, CA to Vancouver, BC so she loves it just as much as my father does.

There sure are a lot of wonderful family memories and stories about that same car and I wouldn't trade it for anything...though I've had some rather interesting offers for it over the years.

By the way, there is a car show happening at my workplace in a couple of weekends and Corvettes will be one of the featured makes. Can I advertise about the show here and if so, in which forum?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

I couldn't resist bringin' up one of your pics.
Very nice, yes, very nice! [sm=hail.gif]

[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 AM

Welcome....send some pics soon

Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM

I don't have any new news to share, but I just got some new white wall tires for my 1964 Sting Ray coupe so I snapped a few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locoboy...th/1728099189/

They're at the end of the color pictures in the slide show. The Firestone raised white letter tires were almost 40 years old so they were dry rotting and cracking pretty badly. I was actually kind of afraid to drive on them to my last show! At that show I parked next to a 1963 Sting Ray coupe that had white walled modern BFGoodrich tires on it and it really looked original, so I decided to buy a set for my car the next weekend.

As an added bonus, I also scanned in some photos from my parents' honeymoon when they went on a road trip from Sacramento, California to Vancouver, British Columbia. That was back in August 1964 and my father bought the Sting Ray brand new in May 1964 so they are the oldest known photos of my car. As the pictures show, white wall tires were one of the few options that my father could afford back then. One of those original General white walled tires is still on the spare under the trunk. It doesn't hold air for more than a few weeks though.

Though white walled tires are normally for granny's Buick, they match the era of the Sting Ray perfectly. The tires on there now are also light years ahead of any other tires that have ever been on my car. Tire technology sure has come a long way in 44 years!

My parents still tell stories of that road trip and how people in the countryside would literally stop what they were doing and just stare and wave at the unusual looking car as they drove by. Several times at road side diners, my parents would come back into the parking lot to leave and people would be gathered around the car, just looking at it. My dad said that most people thought that it was a European car and they couldn't believe that it was a Chevy. In those days, most people in the countryside weren't too familiar with Corvettes, especially the then-new second generation Sting Ray body style.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
pg

Hi locobob5150 and welcome to the forum. That is a beautiful car.
The story of your Mom and Dad on there honeymoon was interesting. I'll bet if you park in front of a diner today you would attract just as big a crowd. PG.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM

This is a great story with a beautiful car.