New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

legal help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Default legal help?

Hey everyone,I'm a new member and I have a somewhat odd question,that maybe somebody out there has an answer for.I recently came across an "abandoned" 2000 Corvette in an indoor parking garage.The car has been sitting in this spot for almost 5 years now.After asking permission from the garage manager,I ran the VIN on a website and determined that this vehicle was stolen in 2004.Now let me assure everyone that I didn't steal this car!
My question now(finally).I would like to know if there is any way to legally determine who is the rightful owner of this vehicle.Secondly,I would like to possibly(legally)aquire(buy) this car from said owner.It's a shame to let a fine auto like this die a slow,lonely death.Any help would be apprieciated.Again,I'm not some crazed car thief,just a concerned Vette enthusiast.

Thanks, K.F.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned
Default RE: legal help?

Hi Kenneth,

All you can do is report it to the local police and let them know that you are interested in the car. Hopefully the rightful owner can be located and someone (maybe you!) can recover the car. More than likely the car is/was covered by insurance and is owned by the insurance company. They surely paid the claim for the stolen Corvette by now.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Default RE: legal help?

Yep. As stated earlier, report it to the local po-po.

If you play nice with the police, they might let you know who the owner and/or recovery agent (insurance company) is. You can take it from there.

Another angle, you can have the garage owner (or help him by offering to do it on his behalf) file a lein for storage of the car. He then has a claim against the property, and would have full access to the "rightful owner". If no one claims the car within the stated period (30 days in my state), and settles the outstanding debt (reasonable storage fees), he can own the car based on his "mechanic's lein". Free and clear... Of course, outstanding taxes (personal property, etc.) can sometimes convey with the property, but at least you will (1) find out who rightfully owns the title, and (2) possibly acquire the car this way.

bill.