New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New member, old question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Default New member, old question

Hi. I am a new member. I have had five (5) Corvettes when I was younger. All were T-Top C-3s'
After 10 years without one, I am back in the market.
I have two questions.
First is: C-4 or C-5? I realize everyone has a favorite. I like both. Don't know much about either.
Second question: Coupe or convertible? I have never owned a Corvette conv. Have had two Mustang
conv in the last ten years. Wife has a Solara SLE conv. This will strictly be MY weekend/toy car. I am
opting for a 6-speed.
Would appreciate any assistance. I am not in a big rush. If I decide on a vert, I will probably wait until
Aug/Sep to get a better price. If it is a coupe, I'll be waiting for the great deal.
Thanks.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New member, old question

I have a C4 myself, and is a 6 speed available in a C4? BTW, welcome to the group.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:27 PM

I believe the 6 spd is available in the 1992 to 1996.
That is about the C-4s' I would be interested in because of the LT-1 eng.
I think they got better after 1992.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:58 PM

Welcome to the site jaki30. I have a C5 ('98) and absolutly love it and would suggest a C5, but then again how much money you want to spend will play a big part in which car you should get. You can get a very nice C4 for way under $20K where as you are going to be paying $20K plus for a nice low mileage C5. I also like the LS engines. In the end I think it will all come down to how much money you want to spend and which body style you like better. As for the targa top or convert, I have always been a fan of the targa top because you get the best of both worlds and I've never liked the way the converts look with the top up. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:56 PM

kinda take this with a grain of salt, i dont know how correct i am on all of my info...

first off if you can afford it... c5 all the way... not to knock a c4, but it was designed i what 82? thats some old technology... they are harder to get in and out of... they arent near as rigid... from what i gather the c5 was deigned to be topless so both the targa and the vert are stiff rides... i have a hard top, so all i can say is that is a stiff damn car...

the c5 interior is nicer... the car is more comfy all around and of course faster...

now on vert or coupe... hmmm all personal preference... once again hard top... if you think you will take the top off alot... vert... if you think you would rathere have a glass top that you can get some sun, but dont have to have the top off... coupe...

my buddy has a vert mustang and when we are out going he has the top up most of the time... and if he drops it it kinda sucks because if it gets hot we have to pull over and put it up, but if you have a targa off it takes longer to put on then just lupping off hitting a button throwing some latches and driving off... i like my hard top since i just roll up the windows and turn on the a/c

-me

Old 05-01-2006, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the info.
I am still torn between a vert and a coupe. Since it will be mostly a weekend cruiser,
I am leaning towards the vert. But, there are many more coupes available if I want one right away.
As for the price of a car, the vette suffers from price compression. People with low mile C-4s (I wouldn't
want one with more than about 30k miles) want big dollars. Mean time, the 2000 to 2004 owners that want
to sell are trying to recover as much of their sale price as possible. The spread between and really clean
1996 and a 2004 is about $20K. Which works out to slightly more than a difference of $2,000 between the
model years.
This is where I get hung up. I really like the C-5 style. Is it worth 15-20 grand more than a mint low mile
1996? From what I am hearing, the differences in the C-4 and C-5 appear to justify spending the higher
amount.
I think a C-5 with the Magnetic Red paint and Tan or Shale interior is going to be something I can't resist.
I hope to retire in two or three years. This may be the last time I would consider a manual tranny.
Wish me luck.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Luck Hope you get the oneyou want!!

Old 05-13-2006, 03:42 AM

dude the frekin' coupe is so much better than a conv. what were u thinkin askin that question?