New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Which Vette to Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Default Which Vette to Buy??

I'm a new member and am seriously in the market fora well maintained, used corvette. I like different things about the C3, C4, and C5. I'm looking to spend between 12 and 20K but havent decided which class to get based on the money. I've seen that you can get early C5's in the high teens, and mid year C3's in low teens. For the money which corvette do you recommend. Again, I'm new to buying and owning a corvette and have wanted one since I was a kid and now am ready to jump into this great car community. Thanks for any help !!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Which Vette to Buy??

Just depends what you like. I happend to like c5's and c6's, so if I was in the market for one thats what I would be looking for.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

That's a real tough question, It's kinda like askin' somebody to pick out a girl friend for ya.
Me, I'm sold on the C3's. I went this route because of price, but mostly, they don't have the new fangled electonic stuff like computers and such. But, ya see, I'm an old school, 60's and 70's rodder.
So,....to each his own.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 PM
pg

Hi, KT Hoah and welcom to the forum.
For 12 to 20K you'll find a great Vette. You will have to balance the amount of work that it needs with the condition it's in. Are you handy? Can you do the work or will you pay for it to be done?
My advise, go out and buy the first Vette that you like, you'll love it! PG

Old 06-04-2007, 04:38 AM

You don't provide much information about you, or why you like cars, but here goes:

C3 - regardless of condition and year, these are old cars: at a minimum 25 years old. If you love working on cars, and really understand older car technology (i.e., do you know how a 4-barrel carb works, can you diagnose typical problems, and rebuild one with a kit?), this can be a fun car: its stylish, fairly fast if done right, and reliable. But it will take a lot of work and nothing other than about $100,000 can make it tight and shiny and perfect like a newer car.

C4 - these vary a lot. Early models (84-87) are twenty plus years old and most of what I said about C3s applies. Later ones, particularly 94-96, have always seemed to me to be really great cars, and a bit underpriced, bargains: one in good condition is still very "modern" ans useable as a daily driver by a person who doesn't want to be too "involved" with maintenance.

C5 - a really good car and if you get a good one, a joy. Some have been abused, neglected, or were just lemons from the factory though.

It just depends on what you want and like. If it were me with your budget, I'd probably look for a 95-96 model in exceptional low-mileage condition and count of having a bit of $$ left overto fix it up and maybe add a few custom touches.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 AM

Thanks all for some advice. I appologize for not providing more information about myself. I'm 28,a pharmaceutical rep and have loved corvettes since my uncle had one growing up and knew this was the car for me. I value the brand, the communitythat comeswith the car, and itsawesomeperformance andvalue for the price of the car. I also appreciate the feasability towork on these engines (if you know what your doing). I'm not the typical young professional who just wants a nicecar for flash (although I understand anyone wanting to buy a vette for that). This car will be in my garage until I retire,hopefully with afew additional vettes as the years go on.

I'mnot very handy around a car but have bought some general mechanic booksdealing with corvette engines andam starting this hobby from the ground up.I know how the engine works and mostof its parts,butdont have thegarage or toolsneeded for majorengine work. Iwant to learn to work on these cars. any other advice with this? I've just become friends with my wife's boss who works and builds corvettes from the ground up. He has 2 '77 C3's and a brand new 07 C6. I will be looking to him for advice as well and we're heading to the Carlisle, PA annual Corvette auction in August to look for a good car to start out with. Since I'm not the most experienced mechanic, I'm looking at getting a late model C4 or early C5. Truthfully I'm much more interested in the C5, but I'm very particular with the condition, previous owner, mileage and color, so something perfect would have to come up in addition to m <20K Budget. With this price range in mind, are the 98-99 models of the C5 any less of a value than 2000-2004?

You all are extremely knowledgeable, especially Lee and PG I'm excited to learn and hope to talk to you guys soon.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM

check out the vehicles at this link

http://www.corvettetrader.com/corvettes1997.htm

Dave01 posted this the other day on another thread. It looks like there are some low 20 C5's. Personally I'd go with one of these but I'm biased

Old 06-06-2007, 04:41 AM

I think early model C5's prior to 02 had some issues with the rear end leaking. They also have a bit less hp and tq but not much. Before you buy one I would ask if the rear end issue has been fixed by the previous owner. There were some other minor issues but I can't remember right now.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

You don't provide much information about you, or why you like cars, but here goes:

C3 - regardless of condition and year, these are old cars: at a minimum 25 years old. If you love working on cars, and really understand older car technology (i.e., do you know how a 4-barrel carb works, can you diagnose typical problems, and rebuild one with a kit?), this can be a fun car: its stylish, fairly fast if done right, and reliable. But it will take a lot of work and nothing other than about $100,000 can make it tight and shiny and perfect like a newer car.

C4 - these vary a lot. Early models (84-87) are twenty plus years old and most of what I said about C3s applies. Later ones, particularly 94-96, have always seemed to me to be really great cars, and a bit underpriced, bargains: one in good condition is still very "modern" ans useable as a daily driver by a person who doesn't want to be too "involved" with maintenance.

C5 - a really good car and if you get a good one, a joy. Some have been abused, neglected, or were just lemons from the factory though.

It just depends on what you want and like. If it were me with your budget, I'd probably look for a 95-96 model in exceptional low-mileage condition and count of having a bit of $$ left overto fix it up and maybe add a few custom touches.
Ohmigoodness!!!

100K to make a c3 like a new car? I'd have guessed 30- 35 tops, if you do the work yourself. Total nut and bolt resto-, someone else doin' the work; add 40k? 100 is kinda' high, ain't it? Now, if he builds a shop out back first, modestly equipped (dream time), yer' gettin'close to1 x c$ x k$...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 AM

GM has an annoying habit of not quite getting a new model "right" for the first year or two. The C5 really was a nearly all new model and as such the '97s and even into the '98s had a number of annoying quality and design issues. Most of these should have been put right by previous owners but it is still an issue.

This was quite a significant issue on early C4s -- they came from the factory with a nest of nasty little problems inside, but over all the intervening years most 84-87 cars have gone one of two ways: all the problems have been fixed . . .or they have degenerated into the car from hell.

If going after a C5, I would look for a 99 or after (preferably a '01 or after with the 5 HP bump in power

On a budget, I would look for a very late, low-mile C4 instead (M6, 94-96). I would not pay a premium for an LT4, one can get all the upgraded parts for very little.

Quick Reply: Which Vette to Buy??