Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Bizarre: Dead Battery Vette Kills Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Default Bizarre: Dead Battery Vette Kills Owner

I promised elsewhere to post this.

This really happened in Cary NC about five years ago. The guy's name was Amir Khalessi. He had a bit of a temper that would lead him to jump to conclusions and act implusively, which is part of what killed him, I guess.

Anyway, in 99-00 Amir bought a hardtop vette (the body style that became the ZO6 in '01, but with the standard LS1 and auto trans in those years) and about a year later he changed jobs, taking a job on the west coast and commuting home on weekends with his family staying in Cary.

His vette would sit for a week or more without being driven, and as discussed elsewhere here, as is typical of C5s and C6s the thing would run down the battery to where it would not start. One weekend he called AAA to come out and charge/jump it for him. They did, starting it in his garage. The AAA guy then put away his charger and started loading his stuff back in his truck out of the street. Amir, sitting in his car, shut his car off after about a minute and tried to restart it: it wouldn't - had not charged enough yet. He bolted out of the car and ran down his driveway for the driver to come back and charge it again.

In his haste, he had left the car in neutral with the parking brake off and the car rolled out of the garage and down the driveway. Very stupidly, he tried to get behind the car and stop it, but it was apparently already rolling at a good clip and it kncoked him down and rolled on top of him, with one of the tires directly on his chest. It took five minutes for the AAA guy to chock the wheels (it was on a real slope) get a jack and help from neighbors, and move the car off of him. In the mean time he had not been able to breath and he was brain dead. The rest of him died about a week later in the hospital.

I don't think there is a moral here other than to THINK when you are having car problems, even if they seem minor.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Bizarre: Dead Battery Vette Kills Owner

hmm...sad story, but it shows a good point...

Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Bizarre: Dead Battery Vette Kills Owner

Yeah, you really have to be careful around cars.

Closest call I ever had was a time when I dropped a big wrench right across the terminals of a battery. It shorted it out, the battery exploded, splattering acid everywhere. I was leaning over the engine compartment at the time and was stunned by the explosion, momentarily "dis-combobulated" but somehow I had no acid on me and was not hurt, although the cleanup and the repainting took to months and it was very embarrassing to have to admit to friends why I had to repaint the underside of the hood, etc. I was very shocked by the accident and took it to heart, and have never had another close call since.