Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

C4 VS 05 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Default C4 VS 05 Mustang GT

Hello all, I'm obviously new here and look forward to many car talks with you guys. I am more of a Ford fan, but I also like the Zr-1, Z06 and the C6 Z06. The C^ is a nice ride. Anyway, let me get to what I want to ask. I am curious to know wheather a 2005 Mustang GT can hang with a 90 C4 vette on a road coarse. Anyone have experiance with this match up? Thanks in advance

Old 02-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Default RE: C4 VS 05 Mustang GT

I would not expect the Mustang to win, or even hang with it, - - - there would not be much margin (acceleration is probably a dead heat through the quareter mile) but, if both were stock and in good condition, the vette would be a bit better on the road course. A lot of 90s will not be in prime shape, however.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 PM

K, I drive a 05 GT a lot and I know they handle well. However I have not even ridden in any vette and have no clue what they can do. However i have seen on another forum that the stang would win. Of coarse the opinions change on different forums but the best thing to do is wait till they open up a road coarse here and test it and see what is fact . I don't dis gree with you although i think it would be a good match up. Anyone have any lap times for the cars on a similar track?

Old 02-28-2006, 02:47 PM

No, you can believe whatever you want and if you shop around on the internet you can find a forum that will tell you anything, but realize handling is not cornering: a good sports car has to handle (respond well, set up quickly but "finally" and linearly, comunicate to the driver) and corner well (stick to the road). The new Mustang handles very well for a 3400 lb car with a solid rear axle and front struts, perhaps in some ways better than an older vette, particularly if that car's bushings and shocks are a bit old and worn.

But the vette has too many advantages in the ultimate cornering power. It is lighter, lower, has an IRS, a better F/R balance of weight, and bigger tires (at least relative to its weight). If its set up well it is going to stick to the road courve better. The Mustang has more power (300 vs. 245 or 250 HP if the 'vette is stock), but its extra weight will pretty much even that out> On a fast course with long straightaways, ice-rink smooth sweeping, power exit curves it might hang in there, but on a tighter course, particularly one that is "street bumpy" and has hairpins or sharp bends, I'd take the vette to win.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM

Interesting... I'm thinking the only real way to know it to either race a C4 on the road coarse or actually see a race or video of it. You have some points made. How much exactly does the average C4 weigh though? I don't think it is under 3000 pounds is it? This has been a comparison i have thought about for a while now. But with no real road coarse anywhere around here till they get done with the 4 mile track, I'm gonna be asking Q's lol