Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Default Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?

I saw a silver C5 driving on US30 on my way to work this morning. I see it often on my way in. The thing is, it's raining and the water on the road is full of salt from the snow that we had a few days ago. I saw a blue C6 yesterday when I was out for lunch (a beautiful car by the way) . The roads were dry but there was still a lot of salt residue on the roads. That stuff has to be getting up onto the underside of the car.

Do any of you drive your 'vette in the winter? And I'm not talking about SoCal winter. I'm talking about snow, ice and salt winter.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?

We get a lot of salt out here in Reno. I try to avoid drivin' my C3 in the winter if at all possible. Since the "Starship is down for the 454 transplant, I won't have that prob this year. I have seen a couple of C6's out and about though.[&o]

Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM

We don't get alot of snow and ice here in the sunny south. But, we pull out the big ole Z71 truck and it runs the snow covered streets. That's the only time the vette gets parked for a day or so.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Well we don't get any snow here, just allot of freezing temps and rain, and of course the fog. We won't drive our Vette if it is going to be raining, and even the chance of it. We have plenty of other vehicles for that.
We'll take her out, but only if we know it ill be clear out.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Yeah I have a 4WD truck for the snow and another car for every day driving. There's a couple of reasons that I asked.

1) It seems like winter driving (and I mean the salt and road grime that covers the car) is going to devalue the vehicle quite a bit in the long run. I suppose that if you have a ton of money and you're not worried about that aspect then it's not an issue. You buy a new Corvette, drive it until it's used up and then sell/trade it in just like you would with any other car. I don't fit this category. My 'vette represents a significant amount of asset. I need to protect it's value.

2) My 'vette does not handle very well on wet roads. Sure, I can keep it under control if I drive like an old lady (not to offend any old ladies here, just to imply nice and easy ). But that's kind of hard to do, especially with a six speed. I don't beat on my 'vette but I do enjoy 'spirited' driving. I can't imagine trying to do that on snow or ice. Not to mention the fact that I suspect it would get stuck in two inches of snow.

I was just curious if the rest of you do or don't drive your 'vettes in the nasty stuff. It's been over two weeks since I've had mine out and I'm starting to jones a little.

Thanks for your input.

Dale

Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Yeh, we don't get snow up here, much... but when we do, the Corvette gets parked for the exact reasons you outlined above. We just had a freak blizzard come through here a couple weeks ago, the city was pretty much shut right down. I didn't have a chance to pilot the Corvette for near 10 days.... drove me BATTY!!! My poor wife had to put up with the brunt of a 5 year old grumpy-face who couldn't drive his beloved Vette.....

Old 12-12-2006, 05:41 PM

"drive like a little old lady". I didn't tell you the whole truth when I answered the first time. A short time after I got my last vette, it snowed and I started out that morning. DH was not here and I thought , yeah, she'll make it through this snow. I came zipping out of the garage onto the pavement, next thing I new she was sideways looking for a telephone pole. Of course, standing on the brakes just added to what was about to happen. By the time I had it stopped, we had gone sideways down the drive into the street and it was like I was ice skating. I could not get it out of the street back in the drive, all it was doing was just spinning and going sideways. Thank goodness we live on a cul de sac and very few folks come down. I could hardly wait for DH to get home and get my baby back in the house. That was the last snow driving day in my vette. Somedays we little old ladies are our own worst enemies.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

At least you had the sence to know when to quit! We get Calif. transplants around here, that think they are invincable. I see them in the ditch all the time, and most of them are drivin' 4 wheel drives.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM

My heart stopped beating right about here....
ORIGINAL: CORVETTE LADY

... next thing I new she was sideways looking for a telephone pole. Of course, standing on the brakes just added to what was about to happen.
Let's just say my pucker factor hit about 11 there!!! Oooooooof.....

Glad to read the happy ending to THAT story, I tell you whut...

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

At least you had the sence to know when to quit! We get Calif. transplants around here, that think they are invincable. I see them in the ditch all the time, and most of them are drivin' 4 wheel drives.
DUDE!! Same here!!! They must either be turnin' left in LA and headin' our way, or turnin' right and headin' your way!!!

The "Drive By Point and Laugh" is one of my favorite weapons for these clowns.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM

I drive mine everyday there is not snow on the roads, otherwise I drive my 240sx or my moms dodge ram, yeah its got a hemi.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?