Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?

Old 12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Default RE: Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?

A little, on nince shiny days, and always very aware that cold weather turns high performance tires to low traction super skidmores.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 PM

Being that my car is my daily driver (for now), I have to drive it wether or not it is icy or rainy or cold or snowy or dry or whatever. It kind of sucks, but my mom is going to be buying a new car after the holidays and she is going to sell (or hopefully give lol) me her Saturn L200 for whatever she would get on a trade in (but hopefully just give it to me cause im cheap lol). But, my car handles just fine in the snow. Im not that experienced of a driver when it comes to ice or anything, but i ALWAYS pay attention to the cars around me ESPECIALLY in the snow and ice. So if i see someone sliding or gettin squirrely up ahead, i slow down and make sure to keep the wheel as steady as possible.

Matt

Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 PM

I don't drive mine in the snow or the rain. Luckly for me last year was a pretty tame winter here in Maryland. We probably had less than a week or two of total snow all winter. I'm just hoping we have the same luck this year.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 PM

I drive mine all winter, I put these really good tires on so it gets tracton. Hahahahah. I am in Palm Springs CA and it is getting a little cold here now. 70 durring the day and 45 at night. I suffer hard during the summer when most of you have the perfect weather, but now I get to enjoy the Vette and my bike durring the winter. Don't be too hard on me, I am an experienced snow driver, lived in Seattle for the last 20 years and spent the winters skiing with every cent we could muster up, we used to drive around with a chain in my trk and pull people out of ditches when it snowed.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

A little, on nince shiny days, and always very aware that cold weather turns high performance tires to low traction super skidmores.
I found out about the cold tire traction (or lack of) the hard way. I was just lucky that none of the other 50 cars in the vicinity was a cop as I went sideways on a three lane highway. I was also lucky that I didn't stain the seat.

Do you worry about the salt residue on the roads eating into your frame?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bobalou

... we used to drive around with a chain in my trk and pull people out of ditches when it snowed.
Yes I carry a chain and a ******-em-strap in my truck.

That reminds me of a funny story. There was a guy with a 4WD jeep SUV stuck in a drift just down the road from my house one day while I was out plowing my driveway with my tractor. So I drive on down and offer to pull him out. No Problem. I back up to his back end and he wraps the chain around his hitch. I get in the tractor and put it into 1st and start pulling nice and slow. I figured he knew not to do anything but just sit in neutral and let me pull. But no, I go about 15 feet and look back to see his back wheels just spinning like mad. Just as I get the tractor stopped, his rear tires hit clean pavement and he hooked up big time. He hit the grader blade on the back of the tractor so hard that it caved in the tailgate and broke out the back window on the Jeep.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: riley

That reminds me of a funny story. There was a guy with a 4WD jeep SUV stuck in a drift just down the road from my house one day while I was out plowing my driveway with my tractor. So I drive on down and offer to pull him out. No Problem. I back up to his back end and he wraps the chain around his hitch. I get in the tractor and put it into 1st and start pulling nice and slow. I figured he knew not to do anything but just sit in neutral and let me pull. But no, I go about 15 feet and look back to see his back wheels just spinning like mad. Just as I get the tractor stopped, his rear tires hit clean pavement and he hooked up big time. He hit the grader blade on the back of the tractor so hard that it caved in the tailgate and broke out the back window on the Jeep.
That's when you walk nice and slow and hand him his piece of paper, and say, "Here's your sign bud"

Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 AM

We dont get much snow, but every once in a while it does ice up. I call those days NATURAL SELECTION days! Everyone that ends up in a gaurdrail shouldnt be driving anyways lol.
I take the truck on those days not because i dont trust myself, but because i dont trust the people around me. Keep it slow, but more importantly keep the speed constant....how hard is that

Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 AM

Oh that is funny, I can totaly picture that happening.
In Seattle it doesnt snow that much, but when it does its a mess because of all the hills and valleys. If you are not chained up or have studs on for the winter you cannot control your car if you come to a down hill with someone screwing up in front of you. I always was studded up in winter or I didn't drive that car. HELLO!@ It was like winter playland. Crusing around yanking people out, helping them get home where it was warm.

But with a Vette, if you have to or need to drive it, put some studs on it so you can bite in the rear. If you do the right maintanance underneath you can keep it from deterioating but your car is going to suffer some and be at risk to get hurt.
ORIGINAL: riley

ORIGINAL: bobalou

... we used to drive around with a chain in my trk and pull people out of ditches when it snowed.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:24 PM

I have always put my vettes up for the winter (NE Ohio) and have a winter car (about 6 months each), now I'm living in N.C. I sold my winter car and driving my vette year round. I love it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you drive your Corvette in the winter?