Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

A little story about horsepower can actually save an accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Default RE: A little story about horsepower can actually save an accident

Thanks for the posts of support guys... yeh, it probably wasn't the best angle of attack in the situation, but hey... our Vette is still scratch free!!! [8D]

ORIGINAL: CORVETTE LADY

Hi TopSpeed: You are exactly right. You have to go with that instant reflex. If you sit there and scratch your head and say "what do I do" , it could be over in a moment. I was looking for a parking space in the mall, and honestly some people never even look when they start backing out, I was behind the car and they started plowing backward. This is one time I floored my vette. He would have hit me in an instant. I was so shaken after the episode. He came up beside me and said "sorry, I wasn't looking, that was very apparant. I have seen where people hit the accelerator instead of the brake, and I have thought, that's crazy, WHO would do such a thing. That statement came back to bite me, the 61 vette lost brakes as I was leaving my office several years back. When I backed out of my parking space, it would not stop moving, in the excitement I was hitting the accelerator, anything to get the car stopped, the last thing I saw was a tree coming toward me , and finally the idea of the emergency brake came to mind. You just never know in that split second what is going to happen. I remember when it happened, hubby ask, why didn't you try the emergency brake. All I had in my head was just trying to get that car stopped, and yes, that was why I was hitting the accelerator.
Didya notice how time seemed to both slow down and accelerate at the same time? Man, these things happen so darned fast... when my Camaro got wrecked all I remember is watching the whole thing unfold in what seemed like minutes, but at the same time I had absolutely NO time to react..... it was wierd. I've heard others folks talk about similar experiences.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

This important thing is it worked out and you know you can depend on your reflexes and intuition.
*nods* And our beloved car! It does exactly what it's told, I looooooooooove it!

Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM

I have done the same thing before Scotty, except i almost got run over by an F-350 hauling a VERY LARGE trailer... I did the same thing as you did and hit the gas. Although Lee Willis is correct; it is faster to brake than it is to accelerate; it is also faster to go with your natural reflexes than it is to think about what you have to do to get out of a situation. I was probably in the drivers blind spot and so far up that if i wouldnt have accelerated in my situation, i dont even know if i would have been able to brake in time because i hit the gas just in time to get far enough for his passenger to see that there was a car there and he swerved back over. If i would have hit the brakes, his back end wouldve clipped my front end and i wouldve been pushed over to the side of a road here that is almost completely lined with powerpoles and i wouldve more than likely hit one going about 45mph. Just a thought though... I am glad everything turned out all right for you. I think the Big Man upstairs may have been watching out for the both of us!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

I have done the same thing before Scotty, except i almost got run over by an F-350 hauling a VERY LARGE trailer... I did the same thing as you did and hit the gas. Although Lee Willis is correct; it is faster to brake than it is to accelerate; it is also faster to go with your natural reflexes than it is to think about what you have to do to get out of a situation. I was probably in the drivers blind spot and so far up that if i wouldnt have accelerated in my situation, i dont even know if i would have been able to brake in time because i hit the gas just in time to get far enough for his passenger to see that there was a car there and he swerved back over. If i would have hit the brakes, his back end wouldve clipped my front end and i wouldve been pushed over to the side of a road here that is almost completely lined with powerpoles and i wouldve more than likely hit one going about 45mph. Just a thought though... I am glad everything turned out all right for you. I think the Big Man upstairs may have been watching out for the both of us!
Hey, my friend, GREAT post! I underlined the bit you said that really hit home for me in this context. I completely agree, bro.

Man, your story made my blood run cold just readin' that, bro. 1/10 of a second in ponderin' woulda resulted in much pain and suffering for both you and your beloved car. I am SO glad to hear that it turned out OK for you, like it did for me.

And indeed, my good good friend... the Big Man upstairs sure is makin' sure we are OK!!! Of this, I have no doubt!