Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

The newness has worn off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Default The newness has worn off...

hubby opened his door on the vette, I freaked & he said "it's only the mirror & you shouldn't of parked so far over". Now mind you months back he'd been the one freaking. ANYWAY, no damage done, couldn't even see where it touched I just thought his reaction was funny after only 10 months! BTW the black int is still hot...can't wait for fall! It also gets dusty but I've found that the swiffer hand thingies work great. YES I'm a woman, I know men don't call things
"thingies" hehe!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Default RE: The newness has worn off...

Hey, sure we do!!! I've got thingies all over my garage! Some of 'em, I even know what they do! Some, not so much. LOL

I use that Swiffer "thingy" all the time on my car, too. Ain't never seen a product do such a great job in such short order!![8D]

If my wife opened the door on our 'Vette, and please bear in mind ours will be turning 20 in a few months, I'd pass right out. On the spot. LOL You sure took THAT well!!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:08 AM

>The newness has worn off...

It does.....!

Our Vette has been in the shop more than our garage since we bought it in June 05. Separation is a great way to ruin a relationship.

In the meantime my 05 Porsche has been available for duty everyday. I love my Porsche simple because it is there for me.......and that is what you expect from a car!

I love my C6 for its power and cool technology, but, that is pretty useless if I can't drive it!!!

I'm a realist, to be considered great you have to deliver the goods......right now GM are failing.

The C6 is simply "over engineered". It has numerous advantages over a Porsche, but, consistently fails to deliver any of them because of reliability

Old 08-17-2006, 05:15 AM

Percentages, im waiting for my car to fail as well and be in the shop left and right. I don't know if its because my parents have had new Suburbans that have had water pumps go out around 11 k miles or what but I have little confidence in GM. Don't get me wrong im not getting down on my car it has been great but im always waiting for something to go wrong. My Nissan 240sx on the other hand is turning 130 k and is still on the orignal clutch, water pump and all other major parts are still orignal.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:58 AM

I'm really amazed at your stories...all we own is GM, I've said before we have a fleet of 50 trucks, continually replacing them as they get older. There's one, can't remember year but it now has 500,000 miles & still going. These are construction work trucks, GM is all we've ever owned & we've been in business for 25+ years. I replace mine about every 4-5 years so maybe I'm not keeping them long enough to see the problems, in my history it's been tahoe, suburban, tahoe & now the vette...& hubby has duramax diesel with over 100,000 & neither of us has ever had the 1st problem with any of them...I'm sorry to hear bout y'alls problems!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have a '74 KW water truck with 430 thou miles. Still goin' strong. Big trucks ain't broke in till 500 thou.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: percentages

>
The C6 is simply "over engineered". It has numerous advantages over a Porsche, but, consistently fails to deliver any of them because of reliability
I think its more over-ambition. GM engineers just keep designing cars their company can't build well. Some of this is clearly the engineer's fault -- they are probably knockling under to too much management pressure to cut costs while still keeping "content" But GM doesn't put technology together well. They can put cars together well -- witness Buick now tied (with Honda and a couple of others)for #2 behind Toyota in overall quality ratings. But they have never been able to get new features/electronics right.

By the way, my Porsche has not been in the shop since new, either.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:25 PM

I've had nothing but the best of luck with GM products over my life. Yep, stuff goes wrong sometimes, but by-and-large, my Chevrolet experience has totally rocked. Of course, now that we have our first 'Vette, I am sure we might find out otherwise.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

GM, me too!!!
Since the feds got involved in the early '70's Ive noticed most probs have been the computer this, or the computer that. Then we got the "Living Room Syndrome"! Stay in your car and enjoy the bennys of life. Personally give me Horse power, a Stiff ride, and I can roll up my own window and and lock my own door!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

GM, me too!!!
Since the feds got involved in the early '70's Ive noticed most probs have been the computer this, or the computer that. Then we got the "Living Room Syndrome"! Stay in your car and enjoy the bennys of life. Personally give me Horse power, a Stiff ride, and I can roll up my own window and and lock my own door!!!
Funny you should mention this, my friend. Me, I'm old school. My background is totally in V8 Vega's and older Camaro's. Carberators! I feel kinda stupid these days, especially with the Fuel Injection systems. I understand them, but not enough to actually get the nerve to start twistin' wrenches. In the old days, when the car-car ran bad, put in new plugs, rotor, cap, points... still bad?... rebuild the carb. Pretty straight-forward stuff. The only sensors we had back then was the one at the tip of your thumb that you discovered when you bashed it firmly with a hammer.