Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Safety...anyone ever feel unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Default Safety...anyone ever feel unsafe?

On a regular basis I drive a 6000 lb suburban, a 5000 lb tahoe & a 6,000 lb duramax diesel AND then the vette...I have to admit there are times I question my safety in an accident, especially when I see damage done to small autos. For example: my daughter was driving the suburban right after she got her license & rear ended a kia at bout 20mph, the kia had $5,000 in damage whereas the suburban only had a lil over $1000. Also in this same suburban a small car did a u-turn into me, totaled the car...looked like I'd t-boned him, shattered driver windows, crushed doors, etc. his head was within inches of my hood. This was at maybe 25mph, again only $2000 damage to suburban. The biggest difference I see, is when I'm in large autos I feel like I'm king of the road (not really), giving me a sense of being safe (unless I roll) because less commercial vehicles I'm in one of the largest autos on the road so anybody that hits me will get the worse end of the deal. Now when I'm driving the vette, it's a totally different story...I'm so aware of what everybody else is doing, not to the point of being scared of driving it cuz I love driving it!! But I am aware, cuz in an accident...let's face it I WILL get the raw end of the deal. Just wondering if anyone else could relate?

Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Default RE: Safety...anyone ever feel unsafe?

I totally hear you here on this... but, I also look at it this way... (the perpetual "the glass is half full" kinda guy)... my Corvette is far more nimble and responsive than pretty much any other vehicle on the road. Plenty of power. Tons of handlin' prowess. So long as I "stay awake", I feel I can out-maneuver most any pending situation that a lot of other cars would just be right hosed in.

We went to the big city over the weekend to a friends wedding. That city was sheer madness, traffic wise. My wife was a little concerned at first, until I said, "I'd rather be in this car than any other car right now... I feel like I am in absolute control, and the car will do exactly what I want it to, when I want it to..."

Now, that may all just be a false sense of security on my part.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:53 PM

Hubby says the same thing, but I'm not sure I could or would think to maneuver it in the same way, you kno women don't drive quite as agressive as men if you kno what I mean hehe. Had it 10 months & hubby's driven it a handful of times tho when he does, he CAN drive it...if I ever got it sideways like him, I'd lose control. Prime example of why purchasing a woman owned auto is a good thing huh?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hey o6,
My Dad used to be a pilot in WWII, and he told me, "This one thing applies to every thing with an engine:
It takes horse sence to handle horse power". Don't over drive your, or the cars, ability and drive defensively.
Aggressive driving can catch up to you PDQ and should be left for the track. "MACHO Dudes", like to push the envelope toward what I call, "The Razor's Edge", it's dangerous and on the street it's just plain STUPIDLY DEADLY!!! I used to race roundy-round and I have been to the edge, and beyond. The edge can be Freaky-scarey, but Beyond, is down-right Terrifing!!! (And it's a very, very, VERY thin line between the two, hence, "The Razor's Edge") Drive like the Lady you are and watch out for the other "Guy". (in your Suburban or your Vette)

Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM

It always helps to have physics on your side, and weight gives it too you. But I try to be alert when I am in the 'vette, or the Porsche for that matter. I believe if you are alert, you can avoid more accidents in either than you can if you are in aSuburban -- let's face it, they may have weight on their side but that and height work against them in changing direction, or stopping -- reported stopping distances in the car magazines are considerably more for the big heavy SUVs.

One car I don't worry about is our Camaro: it has a welded-in structural roll cage and sub-frame reinforcement, plus an iron block in place of the original aluminum engine, and a cast iron "nine inch" locker rear axle: it's not the lightest thing on the street any more but if it ever hits a Suburban it will go right through it.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 06 Vette

Hubby says the same thing, but I'm not sure I could or would think to maneuver it in the same way, you kno women don't drive quite as agressive as men if you kno what I mean hehe. Had it 10 months & hubby's driven it a handful of times tho when he does, he CAN drive it...if I ever got it sideways like him, I'd lose control. Prime example of why purchasing a woman owned auto is a good thing huh?
Practice. Just kidding; I totally hear you there. But, you might be surprised... not speaking from the perspective of motorin' aroun' town like AJ Foyt on uppers or anything.... but if ever you find yourself in a situation whereby the car goes a lil' sideways on ya, you will find that these cars have awesome balance and if you haven't pushed things too far, are very easy to bring back inline.

Try this stuff in a front wheel drive car... your typical Honda, for example... you turn the wheel, the car keeps going straight... to me, THAT is far scarier than havin' a back end come out on ya, that you actually have some control over...

Also, it should be noted, on more than one occassion in life on our roadways here, having a RWD car with ample power (like the Z/28's I used to have) has actually saved my life. If you know how to drive the car, become "one" with it, you can get yourself outta most situations... situations that folks in a Civic would just be in total trouble over with no recourse.....

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Hey o6,
My Dad used to be a pilot in WWII, and he told me, "This one thing applies to every thing with an engine:
It takes horse sence to handle horse power". Don't over drive your, or the cars, ability and drive defensively.
Aggressive driving can catch up to you PDQ and should be left for the track. "MACHO Dudes", like to push the envelope toward what I call, "The Razor's Edge", it's dangerous and on the street it's just plain STUPIDLY DEADLY!!! I used to race roundy-round and I have been to the edge, and beyond. The edge can be Freaky-scarey, but Beyond, is down-right Terrifing!!! (And it's a very, very, VERY thin line between the two, hence, "The Razor's Edge") Drive like the Lady you are and watch out for the other "Guy". (in your Suburban or your Vette)
No kidding. Words of wisdom here, that's for sure. Yep, the cars have wicked balance, but if pushed too hard, that will NOT work in your favor as you swap front for back etc. and find yerself in the business end of a ditch.

Call that a day where yer beloved 'Vette gets scratched.

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

It always helps to have physics on your side, and weight gives it too you. But I try to be alert when I am in the 'vette, or the Porsche for that matter. I believe if you are alert, you can avoid more accidents in either than you can if you are in aSuburban -- let's face it, they may have weight on their side but that and height work against them in changing direction, or stopping -- reported stopping distances in the car magazines are considerably more for the big heavy SUVs.

One car I don't worry about is our Camaro: it has a welded-in structural roll cage and sub-frame reinforcement, plus an iron block in place of the original aluminum engine, and a cast iron "nine inch" locker rear axle: it's not the lightest thing on the street any more but if it ever hits a Suburban it will go right through it.
I completely agree. If you watch NASCAR or F1 racing, and watch the cars as they come in and out of corners, you can actually see that transferring the weight on and off a side of the car happens very very quickly. Follow a huge Suburban and watch it go around corners, and it's like it's in water... that wieght transfer/shift almost happens in slow motion. They have to do that, considering the size and weight of the vehicle or they wouldn't be comfortable to drive.

This is actually a great thread. Me, personally, I'd rather be in the 'Vette than any other car on the road, myself. I feel far safer knowing I have control, than not. But, that's my personal choice.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

And a Good choice, it is. Having the control option, IS best.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not too worried about people on the street. the 'Vette is very nimble and has the power to get out of the way. It's the "dingbats" in parking lots that scare me. most people lose their good sense as soon as they enter a parking lot. I was almost run over by a jacked up truck at the grocery store. once in my Fiero and once again in the 'Vette. talk about road rage....

Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 PM

I have an 04 2500HD, and I always feel safe in that truck. I get in the vette, and it kind of changes...I only feel "unsafe" after hitting triple digits

Old 08-14-2006, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

I'm not too worried about people on the street. the 'Vette is very nimble and has the power to get out of the way. It's the "dingbats" in parking lots that scare me. most people lose their good sense as soon as they enter a parking lot. I was almost run over by a jacked up truck at the grocery store. once in my Fiero and once again in the 'Vette. talk about road rage....
*nods* Ain't that a fact! Good point, I too am more worried about leavin' it in a parkin' lot than bein' on the road....