Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
25.00%
no
75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

should performance mods be apparent

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Default should performance mods be apparent

should performance mods be apparent (needing to change hoods to fit more engine etc.)

Old 07-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Default RE: should performance mods be apparent

Only way you can tell my car is pushing 550 hp is the whine of the supercharger. I even have stock exhaust tips but do have headers back to the mufflers. I love the sleeper look..... At least as sleeper as you can get driving a vette. I also think showing that your car has power is pretty cool bigger breaks and fatter tires for example.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 AM

I don't know quite how to interpret this question.

Answer is no. I don't believe a person should unecessarily change the looks of a car when it has been modified mechanically. So many people put on aero kits that add nothing, or install slots, louvers, scoops, badges, decals, etc., that do nothing, all toward making the car look "more aggressive." That's not my style: for example, when I went to wider rear wheels I could have flared the rear fenders for "an aggressive look" but instead I tubbed the rear wheel wells so the fenders are still stock.

Answer is yes. There are some mechanical changes that require visible modifications to the car. I have a high-rise hood that was needed to clear a Magnusen supercharger I had on the original stock engine: nothing less would have fit. Its full 3inches of added clearance is not needed now that I have the 427 and a Procharger, but a stock hood is a full inch short of clearance for the taller engines induction system, so I just left it in place. Similarly its obvious the exhaust is not stock, and if you look carefully through the front fascia in the right places, you can see the intercoolers. Inside there are the four additionat guages, etc., but that's about it, except for a set of 427 badges on the hood bulge -- original badges off a '69 427 'vette and placed in exactly the same position as original, paying homage to that classic car.
Still, except the the badges mine are the minimum outside changes needed to permit the mechnical modifications. No scoops, no louvers, not spoilers, not even a front air dam (it goes on only for high-=speed runs). Its not too obvious the car is heavily modified, and as chargedvette says, the only real outside clue is that supercharge sound -- a small light tinkling at idle and a banshee scream as it revs up.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 AM

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with enhancing the looks of your vehicle within good taste. To give you an example I love the looks of the C6 Z06 rear fenders and if I owned a normal C6 would probably add that feature to my car. I am also a fan of the Lingenfelter C6 hood. The things I don't like are extremely large wings and gaudy body kits.[/align]

Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with enhancing the looks of your vehicle within good taste. To give you an example I love the looks of the C6 Z06 rear fenders and if I owned a normal C6 would probably add that feature to my car. I am also a fan of the Lingenfelter C6 hood. The things I don't like are extremely large wings and gaudy body kits.[/align]
and decals. I don't understand the bold decals all over a car that some Honda and Acura owners eem to love.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 PM

I think no, I prefer a wolf in sheeps clothing. Plus it makes the vehicle less of a target for thieves. The subtler the better in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

and decals. I don't understand the bold decals all over a car that some Honda and Acura owners eem to love.
Oh yeah, I forgot about decals...definitely no to obnoxious decals.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 PM

my answer states the obvious up to this point...it's all up to the owner...some like to look as original as possible and change when needed (Lee for example)...and some like to show off how the car looks (most import guys & gals)...but as for myself...i'm torn on this issue.

i guess you can say i love the modded "look"...but only after my car is modded! right now i don't see the sense of enhancing the looks of my C5 (beyond the new wheels i just bought ) until my car is as fast as i want it to be. however, i do enjoy a car that can sit in a parking lot of exactly the same type of car and stand out, but within cosmetic reason...so like i said...TORN!

definately no decals...because the idea of having a paragraph, or in some cases a freak'n novel, down the side of your doors under the side mirrors doesn't appeal to me. not to mention you're advertising for those people and not being paid a wooden nickle...(if you even have their product to begin with)