Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

True Stories of........

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: True Stories of........

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Bwaaaaaahahahaha! Oh man; riding those things in the pitch black is a tad on the dangerous side of things, bro! You are right, though; that's one thing about snowmobilin' you just don't have with motorcycles or ATV's... SNOW to catch your fall!!! Funny how rocks are much less "forgiving".....
Actually Bro, the snow glows pretty bright when there is a full moon, just that everything is in black and white. the snow is white-ish, trees and gravel pits are black!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Bwaaaaaahahahaha! Oh man; riding those things in the pitch black is a tad on the dangerous side of things, bro! You are right, though; that's one thing about snowmobilin' you just don't have with motorcycles or ATV's... SNOW to catch your fall!!! Funny how rocks are much less "forgiving".....
Actually Bro, the snow glows pretty bright when there is a full moon, just that everything is in black and white. the snow is white-ish, trees and gravel pits are black!
I stand corrected!! It's been 27 years since I rode one, so my memory is definately not what it used to be. We never really rode much in the dark... somethin' about my mom not lettin' me....

Old 03-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Speaking of Sleds... When i was a kid growing up in the mountians of the great stete of New York. in the winter snowmobiles were almost a nessesity. needless to say there were tones of them to be had. we needed something to run in the summer as well. my brother had a single seat gocart frame that he wasn't useing so I confiscated it and parked a yamaha 488 sled engine on it. talk about fun. we clocked it at 98 mph with my brothers car. we dug ditches all summer long and got lots of scrapes and bruses. the last day we got to run it the kid down the road from me was driving it and was doing laps around his house when he hit well marker and busted the steering rods right off the front. he was going pretty fast when this happend and right in front of him was his families above ground pool. ....you guessed it, he whent right throught the side and destroyed it and the damn cart. Water went every where and flooded his basement and scared the watchmacallit out of all of us and his mom. when she realized he was not hurt she grabed him by the ear and draged his but in the house and sent the rest of us home.lucky for him he was only banged up until his father came home. then he was hurt. I didn't go back down to his house for over a month. I miss that gocart.

I have plans for another one with a mercuy outboard V-6 powerhead.......should be loads of fun.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

That's funny George!
I played with carts, a little, when I was young too. WHAT A KICK, EH?
I wanna build one to run on about 18 miles of abandoned rail road track, about 5 miles from my place. Kinda like the old NASA rocket sleds!
(gotta watch for cattle though, lots of cattle out there )

Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Speaking of Sleds... When i was a kid growing up in the mountians of the great stete of New York. in the winter snowmobiles were almost a nessesity. needless to say there were tones of them to be had. we needed something to run in the summer as well. my brother had a single seat gocart frame that he wasn't useing so I confiscated it and parked a yamaha 488 sled engine on it. talk about fun. we clocked it at 98 mph with my brothers car. we dug ditches all summer long and got lots of scrapes and bruses. the last day we got to run it the kid down the road from me was driving it and was doing laps around his house when he hit well marker and busted the steering rods right off the front. he was going pretty fast when this happend and right in front of him was his families above ground pool. ....you guessed it, he whent right throught the side and destroyed it and the damn cart. Water went every where and flooded his basement and scared the watchmacallit out of all of us and his mom. when she realized he was not hurt she grabed him by the ear and draged his but in the house and sent the rest of us home.lucky for him he was only banged up until his father came home. then he was hurt. I didn't go back down to his house for over a month. I miss that gocart.

I have plans for another one with a mercuy outboard V-6 powerhead.......should be loads of fun.
[sm=jawdrop.gif]

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

I've got this mental picture of you ridin' that baby down a backroad, bookin' aroun' 120, with 5 cop cars in hot pursuit!!

"We're in hot pursuit of some dude in a go-cart here..."

"Well, Adam 12, pull him over!!!"

"We can't catch him!!!"

Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Back from page two.......

Around,........'78 and '79.......
I had a '62 Chevy long bed, fleetside pickup. Pumped up 283, Granny 4 speed, and camper shell.
This wasn't just transportation, this was home. Had a couch, end table, cooler, and my guitar. Stereo FM/AM w/cassette, and two sets of headphones. Oh, and one other thing.......a HUGE Siberian Husky. Can ya guess his name?

Chevy!

I'd load up Chevy and we'd head out of town every evening.
Aboutseven miles out, was a hot springs on a ranch. People had dug pits and ditches, and even lined some of the "Tubs", with flat rock.

Chevy and I would sit there, in the dark, except for a small camp fire. Turn our backs to the fire, and gaze at the millions of stars. He'd have his Skippy and I'd fry up some eggs and zuccini. I tried his Skippy, fried. Not too bad.

Most nights we'd set up bed by the fire. Listening to the crackle, and the coyotes howlin' and barkin' in the distance.
Ya know, that was at a time when I was broke and out of work, but I wouldn't trade the days in that ol' truck, with Chevy, and the stars for nothin'!

(and a free hot bath )

Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM

What a cool story, Dave. I always enjoy reading these, my friend. A dog named Chevy! How frickin' cool is THAT? You, sir, are one in a million, that's for sure.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

My introduction to auto racin'........

Back at a time when water was a new invention , 1956, I was 4. My Dad used to race what they called "Hard Tops". All the cars were pre WWII. Dad had a '33 Ford2 door sedan,with a flathead 8. No fenders and the sides of the hood had been removed.
Dad pulled up to the flagman's gate at the front of the stands and called for me to come down. I swear I flew to the gate. The flagman helped me down to the track, where Dad picked me up and stuffed me through the door window opening of the car, since the doors were welded shut.I squatted down on the floor on the passenger side, Dad handed me a helmit, I grabbed ahold of the roll cage, and hung on.
We took off with a roar from that ol' flathead, that had straight pipes cut off just behind the drivers area. Mud was flingin', engine roarin', and to me, we were goin' like hell.
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
As we slid around the turns, I was watchin' Dad work the wheel and throttle. Mud was flyin' up from the front wheels and splatterin' all over Dad and me, but I was racin'!!!, so it didn't matter. That's what you did racin', ya got covered with mud. The more mud the better!
The number on the side of his "Hard Top" was....$1.98. He used to joke that that's all it was worth, but I knew he loved that ol' car.
My brother and I both went on to build and drive our own cars. Never made a name for ourselves, but I tell ya what, that was the most frickin' fun! My brother used to get p.o.'d, cause he could pullon meon the straights, but then I'd take 'im in the turns.
I still have my Dad's old helmit!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM

DUDE!!!..... That's the coolest story in this thread yet, bro!! I could totally picture it!

Man, those ol' times.... those were the days, eh, bro?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ya Bro, those were the days alright!
BTW, the car trailer he used, to take his car to the track, is the same trailer I used. ( remember the race to the track, when I was pullin' my stock car with my Road Runner, at 120 plus?) I still have that trailer!

I remember, one time, Dad got loose and drifted off of turn three. He disappeared in a cloud of dust and we thought for sure he had rolled. Just then, here he came, over the bank, all four wheels in the air, stormin' out of turn four, and headed down the front straight. I remember the crowd cheerin' at his return to the track. I'll have to dig around and see if I can get a pic to post,of him and his old "Hard Top". He had three, over the five or six years that he raced.

Quick Reply: True Stories of........