Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

What's with the Spam Emails, Anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Angry What's with the Spam Emails, Anyway?

I've picked up three private emails in as many months, all spam, and the last one I received a few minutes ago has potential to do harm to a computer. It looks sort of official and very ominous, with "TeamModerators" as the supposed sender. It contains a link to an external website, that if clicked from within your personal email account, can steal your address book, embed spyware/adware/malware on your system, possibly infect your system with a virus, damage your hard drive, and who knows what else.

Generally speaking, if you don't know who the email came from, delete it, and don't ever allow a return receipt to be generated. This will only serve to confirm they've reached a valid email or user account.

Who within corvetteforums.com can these be forwarded to, or who should we at least advise of the attack? Can we block them out of this site somehow? How are they even getting in, are they creating bogus accounts in here and then stealing member names?

A bit nervous about my CorvetteForums account being hacked to gain access to other personal information. Please help me feel like my information is safe here so I don't have to go, I love it here.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM

I just got a spam email myself saying something about my IP has a virus and to click a link for a computer scan. Needless to say I did not click the link.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 PM

This is what mine said:

Originally Posted by TeamModerators
Dear, WSTNGAS C6;jazxpresso;81c3;alvin123;robert4577!A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://security-tool2010.org/WSTNGAS C6;jazxpresso;81c3;alvin123;robert4577If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP.----------------------------------------------------Forum Administration corvetteforums.com.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I have no way of checking on your private e-mails. I will allert the admins about this issue.
I ban spammers as soon as I find them, sorry for the crap, we didn't send them.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:51 PM

now Im getting them

Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Thanks to Wanaz, I think I finally got the SOB.
Let me know if the spam continues and I'll go after 'em.
Thanks to all of you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM

received one today

You have received a new private message at Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site from Admin&Moderator, entitled "Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Dear, kriegsadmiral;ITSANSS;Rams;L79ELCO;Madderong007!A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://security-tool2010.org/kriegsa...Madderong007If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administration corvetteforums.com.