Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/)
-   -   Raced an EVO Today. (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/raced-evo-today-698/)

Danase 11-23-2005 12:56 PM

RE: Raced an EVO Today.

Yes BUT the Evo has 4 cylinders! So bragging about how a V8 is a faster car is not that great in my book. The Evo is cheaper and more versitale than a Vette in my opinion. Not to piss of any Vette guys because I love them too. ;) I just think if you are looking for a car that you can drive everyday in every road condition and in any weather the Evo or Sti is the way to go over a Vette. If you want something fast for a nice weather summer car or weekend car the Vette is the way to go. Everyone has their own taste and reasons for buying and driving what they do. ;)

Special K 11-23-2005 01:13 PM

I agree 100%. My daily driver is a Ford crew cab with a diesel. We love that truck. But I don't compare it with the Vette. Some of the posts were comparing the performance of the EVO to a Vette when there is no comparison. I don't think I was bragging. I had nothing to do with creating the Corvette.

Danase 11-23-2005 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Special K
I agree 100%. My daily driver is a Ford crew cab with a diesel. We love that truck. But I don't compare it with the Vette. Some of the posts were comparing the performance of the EVO to a Vette when there is no comparison. I don't think I was bragging. I had nothing to do with creating the Corvette.
Oh I know man. I was just sort of commenting in general. ;)

PAY2PLAY 11-23-2005 07:42 PM

Thats definitely a good point you are looking at 2 completely different classes of vehicles. There isn't any chance that a stock EVO would be a Corvette.....but I still had a good time beating him:D

Lee Willis 11-23-2005 09:46 PM

I respect EVOs and STIs immensely. They are just differnt cars- really rally cars. The one thing any vette owner ought to think about is this nightmare: you are chasing an EVO or an STI down a winding, dusty, gravel road, late at night- a road you don't know well. In other words, its a rally race, not a closed road race.

You're in their element, and you will lose, if not lose the road and end up in a ditch. On the dragstrip they are in your world, but as rally cars they are in the tradition of the great Lancias and Abarths of the 70s and 80s -nasty on short, twiting, turning courses where events are unpredictable.

Have some respect for them. Different cars, different worlds. They ARE very cool cars.

pierceman 01-02-2006 12:03 AM

I had a lighly modded STI as my last tuner car. vf22 turbo, 3" catless exhaust, k&n short ram, no ecu mods. and it was quick. awd is too easy to drive :) but very fun. I took out a 996 from 65-120 by about 5 car lenghts (not that big of a kill) but a kill none the less. I raced an ECU modded EVo at Big willow and was dead even. I could not get away, and he could not gain on me. The big hp rwd cars just seem like alot more fun to drive and take a little more skill to keep her in line( ie, alot more fun IMO).
MAtt

Lee Willis 01-02-2006 01:10 PM

EVOs and STis are really nice cars. I respect them for several reasons. First, they have a lot of power for their displacement and size, and they are complete designs: Mitsi and Suburu took the time to give them good 4-wheel drive systems and suspension and brakes to equal their power, as opposed to the Neon SRT, which is just a 225+HP motor dropped in a car designed for 140 HP and a very unblanced design as a result.

And I do not consider the EVo and the STi to be a new concept, or "rice" in any way. In my mind, they are a continuationof the European ralley-car design tradition of Abarth and Lancia, etc., going back to the 60s: boxy but fast, small displacement 4-wheel drive cars designed to stay on the road when driven on twisting drit back roads by people who are certifiably crazy.

And both are fast: even stock either one can take some 996s - mine has the automatic and does only 13.5 in the quarter - either of those two turbo 4s is a stock 13.3 car in the quarter.

hotbo! 04-23-2006 12:00 AM

no way the rolling start and long straight away is almost cheating. you should just race where ever you show up not het all of these advantages over the other car. thats not being fair now is it hah?

Lee Willis 04-24-2006 09:28 PM

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Were you thinking I said a long straight and a running start were cheating. Where did you get that? Its not in my book. I nearly always race from a running start -- makes less noise and smoke and attracts far less attention.

PAY2PLAY 04-25-2006 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Were you thinking I said a long straight and a running start were cheating. Where did you get that? Its not in my book. I nearly always race from a running start -- makes less noise and smoke and attracts far less attention.
...and doesn't wear your tires down as quickly...