Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/)
-   -   Raced an EVO Today. (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/raced-evo-today-698/)

Patrick 04-27-2006 02:34 PM

RE: Raced an EVO Today.

hmmm..ive never gotten into roll racing...

Lee Willis 04-27-2006 09:49 PM

It makes sense for street racing. Makes less noise, has less chance of a bad control lande-change on a hard launch, and makes the car, not the driver, more of the issue (which, if you are challenge racing on the street, with a sleeper, is the whole thing).

But I do miss the hard launch you get at the dragstrip, that IS fun.

x phantom x 05-21-2006 11:55 PM

Evo's are decent cars with some good power and strong launches. Nice kill. :)

deffro 08-30-2006 01:11 PM

Hi guys.... been browsing the site for a while, decided to register now. Just wanted to chime in on the conversation. Lee Willis is right about the higher rpms needed before the Evo hits any decent power. It definitely has to be kept in the upper rpms to compete with most any V8 today. 3500rpm or up or your going to get left.

I must disagree with Special K however when he is comparing "apples to apples." A new 286hp Evo IX can run high 12's stock with a decent driver. Not the 12.7 that special K can run, but he has a custom tune. If a custom tune is performed on an Evo it will be mid 12's easily (on stock tires). This is a fact. So apples for apples it is pretty darn close with a possible edge toward the Evo.

ORIGINAL: Special K

I can't believe Vette guys and gals talking about an EVO. These sleds weigh 3200/3300 lbs and have 286 hp. My stock Vette in good air runs 12.65/12.70. I should say almost stock. Blackwing, custom tune and a 3:42 with an A4. At the strip with my DR's I can launch hard with no tire spin. On the street I control the throttle and again, no tire spin on street tires.

There is no way an EVO, even with 4 wheel drive can keep up even from a standing start. A 1/4 mile race wouldn't even be close. The Vette would finish by several car lengths. And we should talk apples to apples. An EVO on spray vs a Vette on spray. Again, not even close.

I hope you folks don't mind me butting in. I'm a very humble guy. Intelligent, good looking and one of the best drag racers on the planet. I also have a hard time expressing myself. :D

Lee Willis 08-30-2006 09:42 PM

'65 Chevelle SS, eh? Those are very cool -- I always liked them a bit more than the '67s and later, even though those had big blocks. What engine do you have in it - the original 327?

deffro 08-30-2006 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took out the 283 and installed a reasonably built 406.

Attachment 2980

TopSpeed 08-31-2006 03:09 PM

Oh man!! What a beautiful car. [8D][8D]

corvette king 08-31-2006 08:36 PM

VERY NICE RIDE.:D[sm=bling.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=patriot.gif]

deffro 08-31-2006 09:58 PM

Thanks guys! :D

PAY2PLAY 09-01-2006 11:59 PM

WOW Deffro that is one beautiful car you have there.