Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Recommended harness bar and 5 point?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Default Recommended harness bar and 5 point?

I'm looking for a good quality harness bar and 5 point harness for the C6 Z06. I have seen the Brey-Krause and The C6 Sharkbar. The Brey-Krause looks like a quality product but comes in at more than twice the price of the Sharkbar. Any significant advantage using the Brey-Krause for a 5 point harness? Are there any other contenders out there?
As far as the actual 5 point, I have not done much research. I know that there will be many options out there. I don't need fancy/expensive just a good quality 5 point that will last. Any recommendations for one that will work well with either of the above harness bars and the stock seats?
Thanks
James

Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 PM

James,it kinda depends on what you're doing. If it's organized under a sanctioning body,check their rules and buy the cheapest setup that conforms. All sanctioning bodies I know of let you use the belts a couple of years,then if you send them in and get 'em tested,a couple more years and then you throw 'em away! No company is going to sell a product that won't perform to those standards so if you buy more than the least expensive you're throwing money away!
If you're putting 'em in for peace of mind because sometimes you drive a little too fast then possibly a little more expensive belt might be justified. Much of the difference is in the hardware and most of that is in the buckle. Buy the unit that has the buckle that works best for you. As far as I'm concerned the old aircraft type with an easy-to-grab loop added to the tongue is very hard to beat.
I have never used a "bar" all the belts I ever installed were mounted to a roll cage,so I can't help there. I always mounted belts in "double shear",that is there were two brackets and the belt hardware went between them sorta like a sandwich. If some of the bars do that and some don't,I would go with the one that did.
I kinda hope I get jumped on for my opinion,that'll mean somebody who know about this stuff is still around?
This is all personal opinion--use at your own risk!
Good Luck!
Ron

Old 10-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by partsman41
James,it kinda depends on what you're doing. If it's organized under a sanctioning body,check their rules and buy the cheapest setup that conforms. All sanctioning bodies I know of let you use the belts a couple of years,then if you send them in and get 'em tested,a couple more years and then you throw 'em away! No company is going to sell a product that won't perform to those standards so if you buy more than the least expensive you're throwing money away!
If you're putting 'em in for peace of mind because sometimes you drive a little too fast then possibly a little more expensive belt might be justified. Much of the difference is in the hardware and most of that is in the buckle. Buy the unit that has the buckle that works best for you. As far as I'm concerned the old aircraft type with an easy-to-grab loop added to the tongue is very hard to beat.
I have never used a "bar" all the belts I ever installed were mounted to a roll cage,so I can't help there. I always mounted belts in "double shear",that is there were two brackets and the belt hardware went between them sorta like a sandwich. If some of the bars do that and some don't,I would go with the one that did.
I kinda hope I get jumped on for my opinion,that'll mean somebody who know about this stuff is still around?
This is all personal opinion--use at your own risk!
Good Luck!
Ron
Thank you for the reply. I now have a couple of options to look at.