Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Scared a Goat!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Default Scared a Goat!

One of the guys I work with has an 04 GTO. After work a couple mornings ago he decided to "jump " on my poor unsuspecting 22 year old 84 L-83. The crossfire cars actually have a nice flat torque curve and the 84's are the lightest of the C4's, that said I actually jumped out in front of his Goat and made 'em work for it! Put a little scare in 'em for a sec or two till he got past me. He called me afterward, said he was about to feel really embarassed, he didn't expect it to be so quick. He doesn't know about the planned upgrades and we're gonna go to Raceway Park(Houston) after Christmas, probably early February. With the X-Ram and rockers I should be in the high to mid 13's-respectable enough for me, and maybe enough to beat the GTO. Jumped a mustang on the way to work just for fun and jumped out in front, he shut down before he realized he coulda gone on by-one Ford bites the dust by default!. I'm not usually so "squidly" but I'm really havin' fun with the car-and both of these "contests" happened before the sun came up-no traffic etc.... Anyways, just wanted to share....

Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Scared a Goat!

very nice!! do you go to my CBRForum?

Old 12-08-2005, 02:33 PM

Which forum is yours I go to 1000rr.net and .com Generally .net , I've got the Repsol Replica #369. I've got a TLR race bike and I use the Honda for SMR's, track days, and commuting too.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Sounds like some nice runs. I almost had the chance to run with a '05 or '06 GTO about 2 weeks ago, but he had 2 cars in front of him at the light so he got behind me and tried to keep up. They are fast.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM

I've driven my buddies Goat, it is really quick. He'll be the first to admit he's still not the best with a stick but he's workin' on it. Power to weight is the major drawback when he's tryin' to get the jump on a Vette.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 PM

GTOs M-6s are hard to launch well. They have a lot of weight - noticeably more than in a Camaro (which had almost the exact same drivetrain), much less in a vette. And they are fast, 13.3-13.4 1/4 mile stock. The experience I';ve seen though is that they don't respond to mods as well as you'd think. I know two guys with 05s (the LS2) with headers, cat back and airboxs, neither of which made much difference, still in the 13.1-13.2 range. Camaro LS1s typically gained about twice that with such mods.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Administrator

oddly, i have seen alot of very bad running new GTOs at the track,...

(and my bike forum is www.CBRForum.com )

Old 12-13-2005, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the link Patrick, I'll check it out. Apparently there's a fairly inexpensive but highly necessary rear suspension mod that pretty much must be done on the Goats. James is planning on it next month but won't go back to the dragstrip till it's done. Those cars are also heavy, more of a touring car, ala 928 than 911 style. Just more ability than an old style musclecar. It's a cool time to like cars and bike right now. Lotsa cool stuff to choose from! Even the little Cobalt SS S/C has a lot of potential, not to mention mid 14's outta the box.