Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

C5 Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Default C5 Bose system

I have an '02 Z with the Bose AM/FM/CD (no changer). Overall it works quite well. Lately however, I've noticed that on occasion, I lose bass on the drivers side, both door and rear speaker. Mid and high range sound just fine. Just no bass. When this happens, I also notice several low-level tones that don't change either frequency or volume regardless of the volume control or engine speed (I'm getting to "it's not alternator noise"). It isn't one frequency either - it sounds like maybe 4 or 5 different ones and appear to range from about 400 or 500 Hz to perhaps 1000. And they all "play" simultaneously, sorta like a chord. The thing is, it doesn't always happen and the entire system works perfectly.

Is the Bose system bi-amp'd? If so, I suppose there's a problem with the low-end amp?

Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Default RE: C5 Bose system

Ken,
To answer your question, yes, the C5 Bose speaker system is biamped. I have a '99 C5 and I just replaced the Delco CD with an aftermarket unit. The Bose speaker system consists of:
[ul][*]3" full-range driver in each front door powered by the internal power amp in the radio.[*]8" mid-bass / bass driver in each front door powered by a 100 watt digital amp.[*]5.25" full-range driver in each rearside panel powered by the internal power amp in the radio.[/ul]
The 8" driver go up to about 400 ~ 500Hz. You could possibly have a bad left channel in the radio if the back speaker is being affected too. If the 8" was the only speaker acting up, then I would say check the digital amp only.

CG

ORIGINAL: KenHorse

I have an '02 Z with the Bose AM/FM/CD (no changer). Overall it works quite well. Lately however, I've noticed that on occasion, I lose bass on the drivers side, both door and rear speaker. Mid and high range sound just fine. Just no bass. When this happens, I also notice several low-level tones that don't change either frequency or volume regardless of the volume control or engine speed (I'm getting to "it's not alternator noise"). It isn't one frequency either - it sounds like maybe 4 or 5 different ones and appear to range from about 400 or 500 Hz to perhaps 1000. And they all "play" simultaneously, sorta like a chord. The thing is, it doesn't always happen and the entire system works perfectly.

Is the Bose system bi-amp'd? If so, I suppose there's a problem with the low-end amp?