Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 1953 through 1967

67 Stalls When Foot Off Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 02:23 AM
Default 67 Stalls When Foot Off Gas

Good Morning,
I’m asking for help with a 1967 Stingray, with an original 327. This was my dads prized possession. He bought it in 1970 and my fondest memories with my dad were in, and under this car. My dad recently passed unexpectedly and it’s been tough to get behind the wheel, now that he is gone. I went over and drove it shortly after he passed and it ran fantastic. It has since been sitting for approximately 11 months. I decided today (Father’s Day) my young son and I would honor him by going over, getting it cleaned up, out of the garage, and out for a drive. I charged the battery yesterday (interstate battery purchase new in 2016), and the car started right up this morning. The problem was as soon as I took my foot off the gas, it stalled out. It ran great when driving, accelerating, etc, but each time I’d approach a light or stop sign, I’d engage the clutch, take my foot off the gas and immediately it stalled out. It started back up each time, but clearly something is wrong. While I know the basics of the car I love, I don’t know where to begin here. Of course, my dad would know instantly and this is more of a reason why I miss him each day. Really appreciate the feedback. Battery, gas, carb? Anyone seen this before?

Car is stock, other than upgraded Holley carb. Appreciate the time.
Best,
Dan

Last edited by calvary911; 06-21-2021 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Does it die when it's first started also or does it just do this after it's fully warmed up? Sorry for your loss.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:25 AM

Thanks for such a quick response. It died when it first started and after it had warmed up. Zero difference.

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum. Does it die when it's first started also or does it just do this after it's fully warmed up? Sorry for your loss.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:24 PM

When a car hasn't been run in a while it is good to go through a check list. There are many causes of poor idle/cutting off. You didn't mention if your car has original points or if it has a petronix in the distributor or similar that eliminates points. The following apply to all, but if you have petronix there are additional things to check.
1. How old is the gas? If it has ethanol in it, the car will run but the gas won't fire off as easily. It could result in running under throttle, but not otherwise. Good to put in ethanol free gas.
2. Get some carb cleaner. With the engine cold, spray down the throttle bodies, down all the little openings, the butterflies and all around. Just good to do. Let it sit for awhile before you start it in hopes if there is a restriction somewhere you have loosened it up. (Good to do after the car has been sitting, even if it is running fine.)
3. You could have an issue with the choke on your Holley. Make sure it is closing when cold and opening up when warm.
4. What is your idle speed set to? Can you get the car to idle by gently pressing the throttle - say to 1200 RPM? Maybe the idle screw got touched accidentally. Is the low rpm speed with light throttle even, or is there a vibration? Check your spark plug wires at the engine and the distributor and all your connections.
5. You could have varnishes built up from sitting that may be affecting the needle and seat in the float - likely keeping it open all the time. Do you smell gas? What does the exhaust smell like? Is the inside of the exhaust pipe sooty looking? All signs of an overly rich fuel mixture.

If all this fails, it's time to take it to someone who knows Holley's. You may need a carb rebuild. If you want to try to attempt it yourself, Holley has good videos online both that explain a rebuild and how to coarsely adjust your carb.

Let me know if you have a petronix (need to take off the distributor cap to see if it is there or if you have traditional points).

Wish you the best,

John

Old 06-21-2021, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Great list John. I completely forgot about it sitting for quite a while. These old cars should never have ethanol gas put in them because of the acid effect on all the seals.