Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 1953 through 1967

Ghost Short / Bad Ground - Can't find

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Default Ghost Short / Bad Ground - Can't find

I have a 1966 C2 427 that can't start or function. Even with the key in accessory mode the lights, accessories etc.. will not work. I know the battery is fully charged.

NOTE: If I put a trickle charger on the battery terminals the car fires right up right with no delay and all accessories work normal even after I remove the trickle charger. Once I turn the car the problem comes back and will not restart unless I touch the battery terminals with the trickle charger plugged in again.

I feel that there is a short or bad ground under the instrument panel that could be causing this. I've tried to isolate the issues by doing the following with improvement.

I've tried the following:
1) Removed radio - disconnected the fuse (no improvement)
2) Removed all fuses under the dash except the instrument panel to allow for key accessory or engine start (no improvement)
3) Removed Right side Bulk Head wires going to engine for lights etc.... (no improvement)

What I have left is really the starting circuitry along with the Left side Bulk Head wires

Any suggestions is much appreciated. I'd prefer not to remove the steering column and instrument panel if I don't have to.

Thanks.... T-Time

Old 06-20-2020, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by T-Time
I have a 1966 C2 427 that can't start or function. Even with the key in accessory mode the lights, accessories etc.. will not work. I know the battery is fully charged.

NOTE: If I put a trickle charger on the battery terminals the car fires right up right with no delay and all accessories work normal even after I remove the trickle charger. Once I turn the car the problem comes back and will not restart unless I touch the battery terminals with the trickle charger plugged in again.

I feel that there is a short or bad ground under the instrument panel that could be causing this. I've tried to isolate the issues by doing the following with improvement.

I've tried the following:
1) Removed radio - disconnected the fuse (no improvement)
2) Removed all fuses under the dash except the instrument panel to allow for key accessory or engine start (no improvement)
3) Removed Right side Bulk Head wires going to engine for lights etc.... (no improvement)

What I have left is really the starting circuitry along with the Left side Bulk Head wires

Any suggestions is much appreciated. I'd prefer not to remove the steering column and instrument panel if I don't have to.

Thanks.... T-Time

Updating my initial post (Closed).

Took off the bulk Head connections measured the resistance and noticed a drop. I worked it backwards and found the engine ground and chassis ground to be a little corroded. Cleaned those and it's working. I believe the trickle charger was putting a little bit more to the system causing the current to jump and start the flow. That is my story and I'm sticking with it.

I'm just glad to see it on the rode again after it sat in a garage for 7yrs.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

You did exactly what I was going to recommend after I read your first post. Old Corvettes are notorious for having bad ground issues.