Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

73 horn problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Default 73 horn problems

I've had the horn on my 73 looked at by my mechanic (I'm not as mechanically inclined as most of you) and the last time the horn sounded a bit stronger. I just had a wiper switch replaced and every time they take the dash out something isn't working when I get it back. This time it's the horn, no sound at all! Does the horn connection have anything to do with the dash? Where could I check to see if something isn't hooked up? I know the center cap comes off and there are contact points secured by screws, anything else?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 73 horn problems

Sounds almost like a ploy that some shops use to get repeat business. Fix one, break one. I'd take it back and make 'em fix it. Before you pay, make sure everything works.
At the base of the dash, at the steering column, there is a connector that has the horn and turn signal wiring. Do your turn signals work?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 PM

i would check all the connections,fuses and the wiring. if all checks out talk to the shop that did the work if they give you the run around its time tofind another shop.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:45 PM

Marty,
You would be supprised on how much you can really do to your Vet if you try.
Half of these so called experts make matters worst and you wind up paying through the nose.
There are some things that are better to have done by someone with good refs.
Such as replacing the rear or pulling an engine. Again some guys have the facilties to do this type of work. I don't have the ceiling height in my garage so for something like that I also need help.
Ask questions and read manuals and you will be right in there with the rest of us.
The good thing about working on an old car is if you screw up you don't need it for transportation to work the next mornig.
Schoon

Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 AM
pg

Hi Marty, welcome to the best place for Q & A's about Corvetts. I can't believe that you paid someone to change your wiper switch!
You say that your not mechanically inclined, thats Okay, most of us here are in the same boat, but the benifit of the forum is that there are some experts, and they will guide you thru the repair. Save yourself some money on these repairs, get a "Haynes" repair manual, and the assembly manual, (it's pictures no words) then get some basic tools, like a long & short phillips, a long & short common screw driver and a 3/8 & 1/2 inch socket set. It's like Schoon says, you'll be amazed at what you can do if you just try.
As for the horns not working, run a wire from the battery directly to each horn, if they work then check the relay. Wheres the relay? Check the horns and got back to us. Enjoy your new ride, PG.