Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Default RE: Brake Issues

Advance Auto online... 29.99-99.99 master cylinders... all the difference in the world!

http://www.partsamerica.com/productl...30&PTSet=A
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
pg
Default RE: Power Booster.

Why is the pedal harder to push when there is no vacuum?
The booster has 2 chambers seperated by a diaphragm. When the motor is running both chambers get vacuum. When you step on the brake pedal you allow atmospheric air pressure to enter the rear chamber, the vacuum is greater than the AAP and pulls the mechanical parts foward and the car slows and stops.
What if the motor stalls?
The check valve will hold some vacuum. Each time you pump the brakes you use up some of the reserve vacuum. Once all the vacuum is gone you can still stop the car with the mechanical parts in the booster. There are springs in the booster that must be compressed by extra pressure on the brake pedal, and thats why the pedal seems harder when there is no vacuum.
An easy test to see if a power booster is working:
With the motor off pump the brake pedal 5 or 6 times to bleed off all vacuum. Release the brake pedal than apply light pressure. Than hold that light pressure and start the motor, if the booster is working the pedal will go down a little. PG.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 PM

I had a problem very similar to this one a few years back.
Went nuts trying to figure it out.
Guess what, it was a bad master cylinder.

If your power booster is shot it will not effect your pedal, only make it harder to stop.

I will bet a lunch on the master cylinder!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:19 PM

To make it easier... fill the master cylinder before you install it. It will cut down on the time it takes to bleed it out, and the amount of juice you waste. DO NOT use the stuff that comes out... even if it looks clean!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Does anyone know the bleeding sequence for a 1977 corvette? Im having to pump my brakes 4-5 times before they start working.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

See this thread: https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_58042/tm.htm

Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Default New MC..same problem

On my '77..I changed the Master Cylinder...bled brakes and had pretty good pedal. Drove 25 miles on freeway...stepped on brakes on off-ramp..pedal went way down and "Brake" LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN. IDEAS? THANKS,. RACERMAN

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM

Racerman, I would bleed all four corners again, you may have still had some air in the lines or the system is leaking. If your sure it's air-free and you see no fluid leaking then I would point to the new master cylinder again.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Racerman: Welcome to the forum.

Be sure and report back your findings. Might help others down the road.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by SuperHeroSmurf
Brake pedal is traveling pretty far to apply the brakes. Warning light came on, so I swapped pads, checked fluid level. Problem still persisted so I bled the brake lines. Got some air from the left front, went through the cycle a little over a dozen times on this caliper so I assume I got most the air out, brake pedal is better but still requires significant travel to apply brakes. Brake system stops short just fine if you apply enough travel, and brake warning light went away after bleeding. Curious to see if anyone has any suggestions? Should I try bleeding again? Is there something else that could be causing the problem or causing the air intake. Have not noticed decrease in performance or travel since bleeding the lines. But still just too much travel. Rotors did not seem in too bad of shape but I haven't measured yet. Ran and pumped brakes significantly and did not observe and leaks at the calipers or along any of the lines. Not sure on the condition of the calipers but appeared in good shape and car brakes evenly no pulsating, no pulls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for any help.
Im not sure if this will work for this system. But it should. Ive got the same problem and have been meaning to try back bleeding the brake system. This consists of a regular pump type oil can filled w/brake fluid. Connect a small rubber hose that can be fitted over the brake caliper bleeder screws. Loosen the bleeder screw and pump the brake fluid into caliper via brake bleeder screw. Perform this procedure on all calipers. This will force out any air thats in the system,youl actually see the master cylinder reservoir fluid bubbling.Make sure to remove master cylinder lid before hand to avoid blowing out master cylinder seals.