Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Default RE: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

my dad is great thank god. as for the shop no shop.but i got a job at a hot rod builder shop here in florida.so things are good....the vette i got foe 300.00 bucks is a 84 need a lot of work,,nothing i cant handle and the guy i work for said i can work on it at his shop...i am building a 383 stroker for it right now should push around 500 hp.....as for your motor here what i would do to get 600 hp on av or race gas 110.......

engine bore 4.500x4.250

merlin bb intake single x intake

some merlin 2 heads .port and polished..valve size 2.300x1.880 oval port

steel crank light weight 4340 stroke to 540 cub inch scat

h beam rods. bushed 4340 scat

srp forged pistons or ross pistons 12 to 1 comp

stud the whole engine with arp studs

7 quart canton oil pan with crank scraper

a custom grind cam from lunati solid roller

1050 dominator carb

csr billet water pump

one piece crome alloy push rods

lunati pop up solid roller lifters

stud girdles

crane or je

sel roller rockers..1.7 ...7 /16 studs i would go with jessel shaft rockers mor money but worth it.

mellin high vol and press oil pump.

child and albert rod and main berings and rings molly.

jesel belt drive

msd billet distributor and 7al and pro power coil. and wires

lemon headers 2&3/4 hpc coted

two piece timing cover..

ati balancer

fabricated valve covers.

and a bunch of an fittings

this motor with all this stuff should be over 600 hp i woul say 640 to 650 hp

hopr this helps

Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Dicky, Looks like a recipet for fun. think the M22 "bonecrusher" 4 speed will take it? Should Huh? How long will I be in the poor house? I'll start collecting these things now. and send out the block. What would you suggest for a cam? Thanks again for the info. Hey, By the way if you need any custom body parts for your new project let me know and I'll do what I can. if you can think it up I can build it out of glass. what shop are you at? is it in Deltona? or have you moved yet? Cheers

"HOW RADICAL..400 HP 500 HP 600 HP 700HP PUMP GAS OR RACE GAS A DALY DRIVER OR WEEKEND RACER..... "

It will always be a "Daly" driver as long as I own it.

Cheers, George Daly(blueshark)

Old 12-11-2006, 01:23 AM

that m22 will do just fine. go with a custom grind......you will have to tell them what tranny. gears.tires.stroke heads and tey will cut you a cam LUNATI....the shop i work in is in new synerna beach.. it is a older guy who has a shop in his back yard he has bean building rods for 30 years...i new him from the track he has a funny car...alachaol keath black motor.....he builds t buckets,,,he uses the front ends out of the 84 vette for the t buckets front end...right now we are working on a modal a.. chopt it and puting it on a 69 vette frame.......if i need any parts i will look you up.....cheers back to you.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

New symerna? I used to go over there every weekend when I lived in Deltona. great place. where's his shop? Is that salvage yard/shop still down there next to I-4 in Deltona? can't remember the road but it was the back way to Sanford. I have a '87 and a '73 and can mold parts off of them or use them as a base for custom parts when you are ready. Just let me know if I can help brother. also I am looking into a set of molds for a '32 roadster and "T" bucket. what does a set of parts go for these days. The 454 is in the '73. can't wait to get that puppy road worthy. God bless.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:37 AM

Just 'found' this thread

It's purty easy to get ~600 out of a Rat. Especially a big one.
Bottom line is, it's all about the air-fuel you can pump thru it. More the merrier

Even a bone stock low compression Rat will use all an 850 Holly can give it.
Holly's are good because you can literally tune everything they do.
AFB-AVS Carters limit how much you can do. Metering rods, jet sizes, pump rod holesare about it.
Thermoquads I useda throw away.. never got 'into' em.

For tunnel-ram ..gotta be dual carbs, gotta have the timing curve setup (basically all the initial advance the motor can stand and limited mechanical advance in the distributor to 12 degrees or so, max..if you run Daeco110 or better you canput in more advance
Dual 750's work good on a small Rat street motor (396-402) ..on a 454 I'd go dual 800-850.

If yer gonna stuff it all under the hood, single 1050-1150 Dominator with a good manifold will let it breathe. Just make sure you setup the accelerator pump so it pumps a long duration, high volume shot into the throats ..nothin bugs me more than hearin someone say 'can't take the gas-carbs too big' when she pops thru the carb from bein *too lean* when the butterflies open up. Gotta feed the Rat I go for a too rich initial shot then start backin it off till she revs clean, fast, hard,no pops ... ideally 12:1 air fuel mixture if yer wired up to check it.

Personally, I've never tried to make oval port heads do anything except hold doors open or keep tires from rollin across the garage.. but .. that's just me
Rectangle (big) port heads just work so much better at doin what they do.

Compression: flat top 10:1's work fine, pump gas (87 octane, no kidding, 91 is bonus)

I did all my engine buildin at a SoCal speed shop for about 6 years in the mid 70's early '80's .. so I don't know a lot about the hydraulic roller cams and what they can do (but I am learnin fast ..I useda stuff somethin about .550"-.590" lift and ~300 duration into a tunnel ram motor that was gonna be street driven .. single carb motors the same.Higher lifts mean a bit more all the way around .. getover .600 lift and you're into checking spring pressures every season, replacing 'em when they start fading, keepin a close eye on piston-valve clearances, etc.

About mileage .. tunnel-ram 396 in a customers '69 firebird ..19mpg at 75mph cruise with 3:55's in the back, 4-gear car.
Tunnel-ram 440 in my lil Duster, automatic and 3.23's (useda swap the punkin out to go down the hiway ..8" converter ..17mpg at 70mph cruise.
(Rat's a bit more efficient than a 440 wedge) (he ran 750 Hollys, I ran 850's)
(his Rat would eat my Duster for a lite snack from any rolling start ..I killed him off the line ..cause I put it all to the ground)

-Frank

Old 12-18-2006, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info Frank. I've learned a lot from this thread. I've started researching prices and availiblity of parts. some ar a little pricey but most anything is readily availible. The block goes out monday. Cheers

Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Should be getting the engine back next week. A few changes to Dicky's recipe due to funding. but should still be 550-600hp. I'll post the spec's as soon as I get it back. can't remember exactly what I ordered without the list. Cheers

Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the meat and potatoes

'71 4 bolt 454 block punched .060 over
13.8:1Kieth Black 20 cc dome forged pistons, big molly rings
H beam connectingrods
7/16 molly push rods w/ guide plates
light weight forged steel crank 4.250 stroke (too much fit grinding)
Deck milled to fit pistons
2.30/1.88 titanium valves double springs
hydrolic roller 308,328/500,505 cam
heardened seats
Heads blueprinted to fit deck, port and pollish.
custom brass alloy gaskets
ported and boared to fit'70 427 single plane iron intake
1050 deamon carb.(NOS to come)
mellin HV, HP oil pump
7qt pan w/scraper
2-3/4 shorty headers aluminized no gaskets, 3.5: collecters
Custom 3.5" chrome leg burners., black powder coated gaurds
loads and loads of dollars.

Hows that sound?

Geesh I'm tired now. And broke too!

Had to go with a smaller cam, Valves were hitting the pistons and was not enough meat to cut the eyebrows deep enough. that sucks.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 AM

We have a 454 Crate from GM in the Chevelle. PLUG AND PLAY. No trouble at all. 440 HP out of the box. GM also has the 750 HP 572 and a 650 HP 572. Well I hope your new 454 works out for ya George. (PLEASE NO N2O!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!).

Old 01-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not real crazy about the laughin' gas but I've had a bunch of people telling me to do it. I'll probably stick to AV fuel and wicked clutch. I'd hate for the HOS system to screw up and granade the block. I have less than a crate motor invested but still more than I should have. I'll be ok as long as my wife dowsn't find out.
When are you going to post some pictures of the Chevelle...we love all muscle cars here. I always wanted a '67 with a tri-power 427/4 sp.

Quick Reply: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)