Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Default RE: building a radical 454

Fuel mileage??????????????your gonna build the dog crap out of a 454 and your thinkin' gas mileage? your gonna pass everything except the gas stations......PLEASE tell me your NOT gonna get rid of the pop up headlights, your gonna make me cry!!!!!![sm=boosign.gif][sm=badidea.gif]

Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM

Starship, on another note, I was thinking about you the other day when i searched for hood scoops(againLOL)!!! I know you like the L-88 and i found a tunnel ram L-88 @ fibercar..don't know if your interested but it's 6 3/4 in the center and 6" at the cowl..

Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip on the hood! I'll look into it.
With the other body mods I have in mind, I don't think anyone will be lookin' at the headlights. Fender flairs and a formed in wing/spoiler on the rear (remember the "Super Bird"?). Flame side pipes, gull wing style doors, radical ground effects, and twin racing buckets with 5 point harnesses. Also thinkin' chrome molly rollcage. (Well, .....now I given away my secrets)
Remember, it's a "Starship", not a grocery car![sm=icon_rock.gif]

I the words of Frank Sinatra, "I did it.... Myyyy...waaaayyyyy"!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

As for me, I'm not really worrieing about gas milage but fuel cost per gallon. pump gas is about 1/3rd the cost of 110oct. nav fuel. I know I'm gonna be a regular at the fuel depot but I really don't want to go broke doing it. I know I will be driving it more than I think I will now. that's a given. I'll be buying tires in set of two alot also...can't help it. oh the joys of a bigblock and a 4 speed. gotta love it.

Rockcrusher...Bonecrusher either way somethin' is gonna break be it rocks, axels or neck bones when it hooks up.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

Huh? What? Someone say my name? I've been busy shopping for Backyardigans and Dora garbage that will never see the light of day after new years. Been sniffing glue fumes in the garage trying to finish up my new dash and glovebox covers. [:-]

bill.

Hey it worked!!! What a country. Dash and glove boxes??? sniffin' glue in the garage??? thats a good excuse for sniffin' glue I guess. just be carful and glue the middle one out of the three you see. LOL.

I/ We were lookin' for some input on the building of a big block C3. Your opinion and input is valued. any suggestion?

Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I've been PMing a bit with Starship. My dad is the engine builder, I'm a big fan of crate motors when it comes to that stuff. Preferrably one that he built for me, but Edelbrock, GM performance, Turnkey Engine Supply, Rousch... There are a ton of folks who build the stuff in any HP/Torque you want. Small blocks? give me an RQ9, or an LS2 from Turnkey. Big blocks, give me an Edelbrock 454 or a GM performance 572ci monster. Wait... I'll bet no one has put a 572 into a C3 yet. I'll just add that to my Xmas list.

If you want to build it, I have found that Edelbrock folks (followed by Summit and the GM Performance engineers) can help you go through different levels of upgrades to get a balanced package (heads, valves, intake/carb/MFI/EFI, cams, stroke cranks, etc.).

Last engine I built was a 250ci straight six for a 62 chevy-ii sport coupe Nova. It dyno'd at 275hp and 300+ ft-lb of torque, but dad helping me build it might have had something to do with the results.

bill.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

thanks Bill, for the great advice. those are the places to get the parts so why not ask them for help and advice. thanks again for droping in and careful with the glue. cheers

Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

I checked out the the tranny today and I think it is an M22 "Bonecrusher". ....Cool
One word: INDESTRUCTABLE!!!! Sorry I got no more on the 454 topic: all's I got there is "DOOOO IT!!"

Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 PM

HOW RADICAL..400 HP 500 HP 600 HP 700HP PUMP GAS OR RACE GAS A DALY DRIVER OR WEEKEND RACER.....

Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

600 + would be nice. pump gas or Av-gas either one. as long as it all fits under a L88 hood. Glad to see you back Dicky. How are you doing? Hows your Dad? Did you get a new shop set up yet?

Quick Reply: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)