Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Detailing Engine and Engine Bay Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:27 AM
Default Detailing Engine and Engine Bay Plus?

Greetings all,

I am in process of finally detailing the engine and engine bay of my factory stock 77 L48. I have a couple of related questions and also am replacing all 4 tires due to dry rot. Trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible but being its not a collectible I am adding a few chrome components - non OEM replacement parts

Engine
  1. Intake: I removed the original iron version, painted and planned to add all new EGR, carb etc. however now I am thinking about going with an aftermarket intake that has the same functions as the stock version. I am also using the factory carb spacer and rebuild Qjet. Any suggestions for the replacement keeping in mind the engine was rebuild 4 years ago - no mods
  2. Distributer - Better to keep and rebuild original or just replace using after market?
  3. Tires - I have 255-60-15 good years which are now in need of replacement. Thinking about going to 275 -60-15 0n back and keeping the 255 - 60 - 15 on front. Has anyone used this combination using factory rallies - 8 inch width?

I am sure I will have more questions once the weather clears and its warm enough to get serious, thanks Jeff

Last edited by jeff86red; 03-05-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

1. Intake: I removed the original iron version, painted and planned to add all new EGR, carb etc. however now I am thinking about going with an aftermarket intake that has the same functions as the stock version. I am also using the factory carb spacer (I didn't know that they ever used a spacer w/ a Qjet. Are you sure it's stock?) and rebuild Qjet. Any suggestions for the replacement keeping in mind the engine was rebuild 4 years ago - no mods Since the engine is stock and emissions compliant, not sure why you'd need to replace the intake manifold.
  2. Distributor - Better to keep and rebuild original or just replace using after market? Since the HEI system is a good design, I'd only replace the housing if the bearings are worn which can affect timing. Replace the electronics if they need it along with cap and wires.
  3. Tires - I have 255-60-15 good years which are now in need of replacement. Thinking about going to 275 -60-15 0n back and keeping the 255 - 60 - 15 on front. Has anyone used this combination using factory rallies - 8 inch width? I have 255-60s all around and the rear sidewall clearance with the Parking Brake cable attachment on the trailing arm is about 1/4" so I doubt the 275s would work and even moving the attachment to the top of the trailing arm might not be enough. Also 275s might be a bit too wide for 8" wheels.
How many miles? Pics?

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Default Reply to questions

I replied using the blue font, thanks
  1. Intake: I removed the original iron version, painted and planned to add all new EGR, carb etc. however now I am thinking about going with an aftermarket intake that has the same functions as the stock version. I am also using the factory carb spacer (I didn't know that they ever used a spacer w/ a Qjet. Are you sure it's stock?) - sorry is the gasket not a spacer. and rebuild Qjet. Any suggestions for the replacement keeping in mind the engine was rebuild 4 years ago - no mods Since the engine is stock and emissions compliant, not sure why you'd need to replace the intake manifold. - Agree, I was checking to see if an option was available to use my current emission components
  2. Distributor - Better to keep and rebuild original or just replace using after market? Since the HEI system is a good design, I'd only replace the housing if the bearings are worn which can affect timing. Replace the electronics if they need it along with cap and wires. Agree and I do have the new cap, wires, etc.
  3. Tires - I have 255-60-15 good years which are now in need of replacement. Thinking about going to 275 -60-15 0n back and keeping the 255 - 60 - 15 on front. Has anyone used this combination using factory rallies - 8 inch width? I have 255-60s all around and the rear sidewall clearance with the Parking Brake cable attachment on the trailing arm is about 1/4" so I doubt the 275s would work and even moving the attachment to the top of the trailing arm might not be enough. Also 275s might be a bit too wide for 8" wheels. - THhanks and I will stick with the 255's
How many miles? Pics? - 133K and will post pics. I have a couple on this PC. I did the interior 7 years ago. Paint, 10 years ago, trans and engine rebuild 10 years ago, and the regular maintenance. I have the complete history of the car including all of my receipts.

Welcome to the forum.[/QUOTE]

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0870.MOV (2.53 MB, 3 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Very nice looking and clean car.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:54 AM

Welcome from California! Great looking car! Edelbrock makes a performer manifold that has all your emissions ports. If you have your manifold off remove the heat shield and check for cracks.