Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Carburetor Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Default Carburetor Troubles

Hey guys. So I'm looking at replacing my stock Rochester Quadrajet carburetor with an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS carburetor, but I'm running into some compatibility issues. I'm also putting in a new Edelbrock intake manifold, so I don't have to worry about fitting the new carb on the old manifold. Does anyone have any experience in replacing a stock carb on a 1977 or C3 with an Edelbrock? I was also wondering if any of you would mind identifying the 3 linkages in the image I attached. It would really help me out a lot. Thanks!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Connor/Desktop/Carb1Marked.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Carburetor Troubles-carb1marked.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

#1 is the throttle cable. #2 is the transmission kick down linkage. I can only guess that #3 is for a cruise controlled carburetor.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 PM

I have an '81, and DeeVee hit the cables right on the head.
I replaced my Q-jet w/ a 600 Edelbrock afew weeks ago. I made a block-off plate f/ the EGR until I decide which way to go with a cam, intake and heads, etc. I eventually want alot more out of the engine, but while the engine is in stock form, which will exist probably until the summer is over, w/ the exception of a bolt-on this or that, the 600 will work just fine w/ the factory components. Anyway, the engine runs fantastic w/ the Edelbrock. Even though the Q-jet was in good shape and I kept it clean and adjusted, it just can't compare w/ the performance of the Edelbrock. My 'Vette runs like a different car, and I'm super satisfied. I've had quite afew Carter AFBs and Edelbrocks, and IMO the set up of taking the screws out of the top and having in your hand the floats, metering rods and springs, the major operating pieces of the carb to make adjustments, it can't be beat. The Q-jet is a tough item to work on in comparison. Also, the Edelbrock carb installed in no time on my 'Vette. One problem you'll encounter for sure, and that's under-hood clearance. W/ the carb and intake, or even using the stock manifold and a spacer/adapter, the air cleaner will touch the under-side of the hood.
Anything else you need to know or care to discuss, just drop me an E-mail: jhfctx@yahoo.com Take care and Good Luck.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.